Problems with my MAK probes

flavorguy

I have MAK 2-Star serial number #85 which I bought through BPS in April 2010...

I have 3 probes - 2 which I bought with my unit are the initial standard probes, and a MAK M2 probe, which I bought in January 2012 from BPS.

I smoked three pork shoulders last weekend. My problem was that each probe was significantly different in temp reading during the entire cook - the two standard probes had about a 10-15 ' differential between them (as long as I have used these probes, there has always been a slight difference of 7-10'F between the two.) But what was odd is that the brand new, never used M2 probe was 20'F-30'F higher than the other two probes during the entire cook.

Is there anything that needs to be set in the Pellet Boss controller for the M2 to read properly? Or could it be I received a out of wack probe?

Is there any type of calibration that I can do with all of the probes to get them to read more consistently and accurately?

MAK DADDY

FlavorGuy, your grill has the original cdn probes that we stopped using a long time ago. Shoot me an email and I will send you an update module to upgrade your firmware to use the M2 probe, we will include a couple of the standard probes so you still have 3.
[email protected]

MAK DADDY

They read the same, the construction quality on the M2 is much better and will handle the high temp cooks better. They are also more expensive but carry a 1 yr warranty. We are still improving them as we go, not 100% satisfied yet but I am picky!

MAK DADDY

I should add that most grill owners (past lets say serial number 100) do not need to update their controller to use the M2 Probe. Best scenario if your grill is fairly old like Flavorguy is to shoot me an email and I will help you make sure your up to speed.
Also if anyone wishes to upgrade their firmware for whatever reason just shoot me an email to get on the list. We have made minor tweaks along the way (most of which you would never notice) and are currently on V2.0.
I will start a separate thread about this :)

flavorguy

I have to agree that the attention to MAK customers is impressive... I'll send an e-mail...

I know at one time I was the first MAK in NJ.... I'm wondering if I still hold that distinction...

flavorguy

Wow - First off – thanks for the help with my probes.

I remember two years ago researching Pellet Grills on the web (I was going back and forth between pellet cookers and a BGE)… I’m reading about MAK’s and Traegers and Green Mountain Pellet Cookers… and I kept on coming back to the MAK website. And quite frankly I can’t remember how I came across Big Poppa Web Site… all I remember is ordering the MAK 2 Star from BPS thinking “this is a $2k investment, and I’m sending off a credit card number to two companies that are on the West Coast – and I’m a pencil necked city slicker in Northern NJ…”

Well – I’ve been enjoying my MAK adventures and I can’t say enough of the great service and support.

The support that MAK and BPS provides to their customers is really outstanding.

Top Bottom