Tasso!

KyNola

Tasso is a highly seasoned and smoked pork that is a main stay in Louisiana cuisine. I'm using Country style ribs which is basically a pork butt. I am combining two techniques from two of my good friends on another forum. Thanks NePaS and Stickbowcrafter. 5.5 pounds of pork.
Smokerpics009-1.jpg

Now I cure them with salt, sugar and Cure #1. Added some Soileau's Cajun Seasoning(Thanks Squirt) and smoked paprika to the cure mix just because I could.
Smokerpics010-1.jpg

Into the frig overnight for a rest to cure. Tomorrow will rinse the cure mix off, dry the pork and then coat a heavy Cajun rub on the pork and smoke with hickory(I'm in Kentucky). Gumbo, jambalaya, etoufee, beans, greens, anything you would drop a smoked ham hock in....try some tasso.
I can post more pics as we go if you would like.

KyNola

Tasso continued. CS ribs out of the cure, throughly rinsed and dried. Seasoning thickly applied.
Smokerpics012-1.jpg

In the MAK for the hickory smoke
Smokerpics014-1.jpg

Under the tasso is this!
Smokerpics013.jpg

3 pastramis but that's a different story.
Pellet Boss is at the controls. Set to run smoke setting for one hour at about 170 today. Cool ambient temp outside. After the hour, bump temp to 225 until the meat probe hits 155. At an IT of 155, drop back to the smoke setting until I get back to it.

If anyone wants the tasso seasoning recipe, let me know. Just a word of caution, this seasoning is highly seasoned.

KyNola

Tasso is finished.
Smokerpics016-1.jpg

Will add some nice smoke and heat flavor to a lot of different dishes. Still waiting on the pastramis to finish.

Deb

Nice Larry!! I bet the dishes you make with that will be awesome. Those are the pictures I want to see

KyNola

Thanks NePaS. You're the one who taught me how to make tasso. Couldn't resist cutting off a chef's taster. If I do say so myself that is some good tasso. You know it's good when after about the third bite that your nose and eyes are watering AND you're smelling hickory smoke.

STC, Jan and I cut the meat off the bones, cut it into chunks and vac sealed it.

KyNola

Thanks Bob. First time trying tasso on the MAK. What was I thinking? The hickory smoke flavor in the tasso is intense and incredible. That tasso is gonna spice up some gumbo or red beans!

KyNola

Thanks Jeanie. I'll take that as a huge compliment coming from you. I've admired your work for quite some time now.

Larry

Top Bottom