Mak 1 Star #174

Gregoryalln

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input over the last few weeks, and a special thanks to Sparky and Squirt for putting up with me. I got a Mak 1 star and started off the day by cooking some pork candy. I then finished it with 3 N.Y. steaks. I was very impressed with how fast the grill heated up, how hot it got, and how much smoke it produced on the lower settings. I'm looking forward to trying some butts this weekend, along with a brisket. any input would be great since I'm new to cooking on this grill
Thanks again
Greg

sparky

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input over the last few weeks, and a special thanks to Sparky and Squirt for putting up with me.

1st off, welcome to the fam. 2nd lesson. buy bigger pants. your going to gain some weight. it all good. it happens to all of us. serial 174. good solid number. now get it dirty. take mucho pics partner. :cool:

Gregoryalln

Thanks squirt. I actually got bored one day so me and some friends started digging. We started off with 5 of us and 2 days later it was just me and the neighbor kid left. I got most of my rock from local rivers.

Last edited:

Gregoryalln

I went and picked up a couple of bone in pork butts today, in the past the supplier I have used has only had bone out. On my traeger I used to smoke 2-3 hours then bumped the temp up to 225. what do you recommend on the Mak. I also used to cook the butts roughly 1.5 hours per pound.
Thanks

squirtthecat

Do it the same way! The MAK might take a little longer.. Those Traeger fans run full bore the entire time, while the MAK fan has a variable speed fan, so there isn't as much convection going on. You will get better smoke penetration, though!

I like to cook on the top rack of my 1 Star..

Top Bottom