What would you pay for a really great thermometer?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think the Achilles heel in smoking are the wired and wireless thermometers....I buy them 4 at a time. Murphys law will always occur...the great the signifigance the cook the greater chance of probe failure.

I am working with two companies to come out with a unIt that lasts.....

Would you pay $99? If not where is the sweet spot?

Deb

I would pay $99 for something that lasts I have spent $30-$50 many times over....

ultimate is a thermometer with an iphone app;) which I'd pay more for

scooter

$100 is within range if the functionality, speed and accuracy are there. I paid $76 for my yellow Thermapen which is pretty much a one trick pony, albeit a very quick and accurate pony (most accurate and fast of all the colors I might add).

TentHunter

What is the Thermapen? I haven't seen one.

Edit: Never mind, I just found them online. It looks like there are several models to choose from. Thanks for the post!

Last edited:

Pete

Right around $100 for me. I have 4 of the $25 supermarket specials right now, and the mechanical needles all stick so I'm constantly flicking the glass and buying a new one...

kupua

OMG, you all sound like beaten pups.

Its a thermometer, it supposed to survive extreme temperature conditions of moist meat to temps of several hundred degrees (~700°F)

I honestly feel that whatever unit is sold, it should at the very least, work for at least a year. Honestly, if any fail prior to that it should be returned to the manufacturer. I don't understand why we put up with crap devices. I too feel the pain. :confused:

roksmith

I'd pay a hundred, but for that, I would expect some sort of calibration ability, a probe with a durable cable that wouldn't short out if it gets pinched a little in the door, one that can handle the upside of a run-away firebox (600-700 degrees), and a probe that can be submerged in water for washing. Also it would be nice to offer replacement probes for a reasonable price. I'm not paying 30 bucks for a replacement probe when an entire unit costs $50.

Big Poppa

Administrator
It is a hot button because they dont work for very long..THe manufacturers always blame us for either water contamination...crimping the cable and overheating the probe.

I agree with Rok about $30 bucks for a probe....

Pete you really need to move into aremote unit because you are opening your cooker to check temps and that is affecting your cook quality and time...remember "If you are lookin you aint cooking"

chop

This is timely because I am considering buying a wireless thermometer for my set up and all of the reviews are universally unsatisfactory so if there was or is a good unit for 100 bucks I'd be all over it.
chop

vesteroid

that price is fine assuming it does a few things. I need multiple food probes and a pit probe...wireless, and quality construction (decent range, and doesnt fall apart)

Some other features like temp alarms would be nice as well....you really want to make me a fan, have it integrate into my pc somehow so I can track it online or at least log data but make the sending unit still wireless and waterproof....for this I would pay double.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I may start with global warming first. Seriously vestroid that would be my dream unit. I don't know if it can come in for 100 bucks though. I'll have the new maverick any day now 712 degree probes but only on probe per unit

TentHunter

This is timely because I am considering buying a wireless thermometer for my set up...

Same here...

...and all of the reviews are universally unsatisfactory...

Same thing I have seen which is why I've been leery to buy other than one of the El Cheapo brands. Hopefully the new Maverick units with the super probes will hold up. I plan to get one and see.

squirtthecat

I've had good look with my old (going on 5 years) Maverick ET-71. My newer ET-73 has completely fallen apart. Power switches have broken off of both transmitter/receiver, so I have to pry the batteries out to turn them off.

I've got the latest Maverick on pre-order...

Big Poppa

Administrator
Squirt has in on pre order.....you two timer! hahahah

I will have the super probes as an accessory before any other vendor and for 6 months I will be the exclusive supplier. The thought is that the sending units rarely go before the probes...So the Super Probes ( my trademark) may be a good solution!

Top Bottom