Bone in Pork shoulder on my new 1 star

Gregoryalln

12:20 A.M. I put the pork in and have it set for 3 hours of smoke, then to switch to 225. I set an alarm so when the meat hits 160 it will let me know and I can foil it.

The one thing I noticed when programing it was I could only set the time on the user for 59 min, so I had to set smoke 3 times for 59 min to get my 3 hours, then switch it to 225.
Just for kicks I have my Traeger running beside it because it's so windy. I want to see how it holds up compared to the mak.

10:00 A.M. Got up today and the grill had turned to 225 just as programmed, around 10:15 1 of of the shoulders hit 160 and I foiled it, I checked the probe on the second (bigger) butt and it was 154. the grill pretty much has a perfect even cooking temp at least compared to my traeg.

Sometime last night the traeg blew out, I wasn't surprised because it was pretty windy. the Mak was still kickin butt!

10:45 a.m. I Just foiled both butts and dropped the temp to 200 so it will finish around 5 p.m. hopefully.

Let me know if you guys think i'm doing something wrong
Thanks
Greg

Chili Head

Looks like you have it handled. I forget the exact step but you can set the timer for hours as well. You don't have to reset it every 59 minutes.

Gregoryalln

Thanks chilli, I'll have to look into that.

Not sure big Chris, it was pretty windy all night and this morning. It's currently on smoke and haven't noticed it blow out. does an alarm sound if it does? I have the remote being delivered sometime next week so that will keep me better informed :)

Gregoryalln

The pork turned out great, 1 had a little bit to much salt on the after taste, but nobody noticed, and I'm pretty picky. the other one was perfect. I was impressed, it fell apart perfectly.

MAK DADDY

Sounds like a great cook! When setting the Timer you press the "select button" when the minutes are flashing to toggle over to the hour setting. Yes the grill will try to relight 3 times before shutting down and alarming, the display will show "flame-Out check fire pot check hopper" this is your Q to check to make sure you still have pellets and check the firepot for any excessive ash build up. The MAK never flames out unless somethings wrong.

Timer: Press SET for 3 Seconds until minutes are flashing, ARROW up to desired minutes, press SELECT to toggle over to hour, use ARROW to set desired hours, when happy press SET again to lock in the time.

From here press SET to start and pause the timer as you like.
To reset to 00 00 press and hold SET for 3 seconds.

On the new 2012 Version (2 Star serial number 790 and UP) its easier because you can just use the left and right arrows to toggle between hours and minutes :)

Gregoryalln

Thanks Mak, so far everything runs like clockwork. Can't wait to get the remote and try it. I want to do a tri tip or brisket this weekend!

Top Bottom