Can Contest get anybetter? Only One Wau to Find Out! ENTER!

Big Poppa

Administrator
The last few weeks have just been stellar Lets keep it going!

First Place $25 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$5 Store credit to everybosdy that just enters!

Chili Head

C'mon new guys! Show the regulars how it's done!
Let's see if we can top our all time number of entries.. Make it hard on me!

wneill20

What are guys holding out for post them pictures up! Need to see what you got so i can chose my cook for tomorrow i have a couple of things swimming around in my head.

Deb

Chicken Enchiladas & Rice

started the filling by cooking a few split chicken breasts w/ ancho chili, soileaus, cumin, mexican oregano, salt, pepper

photo-77.jpg

filling .... chicken, smoked pepperjack, montery jack, red pepper, green chiles, garlic, soileaus, cumin, mexican oregano, salt, pepper, a little chicken broth & cream

photo-79.jpg

made a sauce (no pics) .... made a roux with butter & flour, added some chicken stock til thickened, added 1/2 can green chiles, can hatch enchilada sauce, smoked pepperjack, montery jack , sour cream

filled corn tortillas with the chicken, topped with the sauce & a little more pepperjack , into the MAK with some rice on the bottom shelf

photo-80.jpg

the rice - brown rice, diced tomatoes, cumin, new mexico red chile powder, soileaus, mexican oregano, salt & pepper
photo-82.jpg

enchiladas all done
photo-83.jpg

plated
photo-81.jpg

enjoy

Last edited:

GA Que

looks very good! All of these dishes I'm seeing on this site is getting me excited to cook my first meal on my new 2 Star once it arrives.

smokerjoe

Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa

Marinated in some coconut milk, lime zest, garlic, salt & pepper
P1060898.JPG

P1060899.JPG

It was cold out and they weren't cooking too well on the top so had to move them down.
P1060904.JPG

P1060903.JPG

Kiwi Salsa
P1060906.JPG

P1060910.JPG

sparky

friday afternoon ribs

ribs & some FT's. ok, not a bad way to start the weekend.

lazyweekend011.jpg

oh, better picture.

lazyweekend013.jpg

onto #63 @275°.

lazyweekend016.jpg

good color all the way though.

lazyweekend024.jpg

what can i say?

lazyweekend029.jpg

lazyweekend031.jpg

pretty ribs.

lazyweekend033.jpg

all done.

lazyweekend040.jpg

cut up and taken out to the patio w/ a FT.

lazyweekend041.jpg

yummy.

MSUSmoker

Saturday Afternoon Tenderloin

My first entry... wish me luck!

Start out with a neatly trimmed piece of beef tenderloin:
P1020792.jpg

Season with some BPS Double Secret Steak Rub and some olive oil:
P1020794.jpg

Up close, this seasoning is great:
P1020795.jpg

On the Memphis Pro @ 225:
P1020802.jpg

Gonna pull it at 115 and sear on these grates from BPS:
P1020800.jpg

Searing for 3 minutes per side. Check out the sear marks!:
P1020808.jpg

Bacon wrapped shrimp on the smoker while the beef rests in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels:
P1020811.jpg

These didn't last long enough to plate. Should have made more:
P1020812.jpg

More coming...

MSUSmoker

Next up are stuffed mushrooms. About 25 minutes at 425, beef is still resting:
P1020819.jpg

Another Mushroom shot:
P1020822.jpg

Now we're ready to carve the beef. Love these disposable cutting boards from BPS:
P1020825.jpg

Love it:
P1020827.jpg

Here it is plated with some asparagus and quinoa:
P1020835.jpg

Feeling pretty accomplished (you can see Sparty on my spatula if you look hard):
P1020801.jpg

Susan

Tangerine Wings

I started by sectioning several tangerines and squeezing all their juice into a bowl and added some tangerine zest to deepen the flavor. Then I added some red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, garlic, Golden Rod honey, a bit of EVOO and some cider vinegar. I plopped the wings into the bowl and mixed them all around to get covered with all those happy flavors and set them aside and well hidden from a very curious cat.
03-04-2012015.jpg

I put the wings onto the Weber with some cherry pellets.
03-04-2012016.jpg

Looking good!
03-04-2012019.jpg

While the wings grilled, I cooked down the marinade, reduced it by half, strained it and adjusted the flavor. It was wicked hot so I added a little apple juice and brown sugar. I also made some rice and steamed some rainbow Swiss chard.
When the wings came off the grill, I tossed them in the reduction sauce to add a burst of flavor.
And here is the plated shot:
03-04-2012025.jpg

03-04-2012029.jpg

Finger licking good wings! Thanks for looking!

RickB

Well had a little left over pulled pork so thought I would try something new. Pork Tamales with 3 Pepper Sauce. Her we go. Part 1

Toast, soak,stem and seed some california,guajillo and ancho peppers. Saute some onions and garlic. Puree some fire roasted tomatos and add peppers,onion and garlic. Blend well.

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

Add spices and sautee till you get some color.

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

Sauce done into some jars for later use.

IMG_1315.jpg

Onto the tamales in part two.

RickB

Tamales part 2

whip some butter and shortning for the masa.

IMG_1321.jpg

Add some hot water to masa harina let rest 30 minutes

IMG_1322.jpg

Add masa to the fat.

IMG_1324.jpg

Add some sauce to the pork and get ready to wrap

IMG_1325.jpg

All wraped up ready to steam. into the fire for 90 minutes

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

Add a little more sauce and ready to eat. Some black beans on the side. Enjoy!

IMG_1331.jpg

Last edited:

squirtthecat

Sriracha Butt Blast

Going a little outside of the norm with this one... All day smoke, thawed meat ;), and a Sriracha/Zach's flavor combo.

IMGP8207.JPG

IMGP8211.JPG

Should be done around 8PM tonight.

Oh yeah, and it's almost BASEBALL SEASON! :cool:

--

5:30 PM peek..

IMGP8212.JPG

The 2 on the right are already at 200°! So, off they come for a little nap time in the coolers.

IMGP8216.JPG

IMGP8217.JPG

The other 2 are climbing out of the 170s.. They will be awhile. (might just chuck them in the crock pots to finish, and shut down the Traeger for the night)

--

Bark with a bite indeed... These turned out crazy good.

IMGP8221.JPG

I shredded two of them, and the stragglers went into the fridge whole.

20120303213113.jpg

--

I bagged up the shredded pork and I'm reheating the whole butts in the crock pot for dinner/further shredding.

I needed a snack, so I whipped up a little Carolina SOS to munch on..

IMGP8225.JPG

PDG!

FLBentRider

Keeping it simple - Burgers and Rings.

We were camping this weekend, here - Swim With Dolphins: Dolphin Harbor Miami Seaquarium South Florida Biscayne Bay FL area marine life exhibits entertainment family group summer attractions events

Got home Sunday Afternoon, decided on burgers for supper

Straight up ground chuck, six ounces each pressed into shape
DSC_2101.jpg

On the 2 star on HIGH with BD Charcoal pellets
DSC_2102.jpg

Time for a little flipper - (and yes we saw a descendent of the original "flipper" this weekend)
DSC_2103.jpg

IT @130F - add cheese (American or Provalone)
DSC_2104.jpg

Plated with some Onion Rings
DSC_2105.jpg

First Ever Entry!!

BBQ Chicken w/Grilled Squash with Cherry Glaze!

The Players: Garlic EVOO, Garlic Pepper, and PB Bovine Bold!
EVOO'd and rubbed...Placed in Fridge for 2 Hrs
Smoked for 1 hour @ 225. Raised temp to 275. Glazed with Blues Hog until IT of 165

Sorry about the pic order...still have probs with upload manager =)

End of Part One!

Part 2: Grilled Squash w/ Cherry Glaze (from Big Poppa)

Homemade Garlic Butter, Strained and Poured over Cut up Squash with Kosher Salt and Pepper. Placed in Fridge for 3 Hours
Removed and arranged them on skewers. Rubbed with Obee Cue Sweet Rub
Set temp on Mak to High along with grill grates. Hit em with more rub. Grilled for about 10 mins. Then hit 'em with Balsamic Glaze w/Cherry. Grilled until glaze carmalized...about 10 mins.
Enjoy!

Again...sorry for pic order. Cant seem to figure it out

ACW3

Well, I decided it was time to try to cook a full meal now that my arm is out of the sling. I wanted to do something a bit different. With one arm in a sling, I had lots of web time to look for ideas. Here is what I came up with.

First off, I wanted to make some shrimp and pork meatballs with an Asian flair, but smoked. I remember my wife taking a Chinese cooking class when I was stationed in Hawaii. She made shrimp meatballs that I still remember. I thought I would give it a try.
First off, here are the raw shrimp ready to be thrown into the food processor.

IMG_7245.jpg

Next is two more of the ingredients to go into the processor—lime zest and chopped green onion.

IMG_7246.jpg

You can’t make meatballs without some “poke”.

IMG_7247.jpg

Here’s what it looks like after a whirl through the food processor. The mixture is ready to form the meatballs and then be put into the smoker.

IMG_7248.jpg

I wanted to do something different when smoking them. My sister gave me a stove top smoker a few years back as a Christmas present. It uses saw dust as its source of smoke. I used a little cherry saw dust and added some apple pellets.

IMG_7256.jpg

Here are the shrimp meatballs ready to be hit with some smoke.

IMG_7258.jpg

This is what the stove top smoker looks like on the, wait for it, stove top!

IMG_7259.jpg

The smoked shrimp meatballs nearing the end of their journey.
IMG_7262.jpg

The plated shrimp meatballs served with some Thai chili sauce. They were even better than I remembered.

IMG_7255.jpg

Now that the appetizer is out of the way, it’s time to get the rest of the meal together. Check out part 2.

Art

ACW3

It’s time to get the chicken into the Asian marinade. The marinade was a nice touch to the chicken.

IMG_7264.jpg

I wanted some Chinese green beans, but didn’t want to steam them. I took fresh green beans, and cut them into large bite-size pieces to cook on my Frogmats. I also cut up some spring onions to add to the green beans and use for garnish when the meal was plated.

IMG_7267.jpg

Here is everyone on the MAK (using BD apple pellets) at 350.

IMG_7269.jpg

Here is my plate ready to eat.

IMG_7271.jpg

I ate too many shrimp meatballs. Instead of serving up some of my homemade coffee creamer ice cream for dessert, I poured myself a snifter of Courvoisier. That’s all I had room for. Hope you enjoyed the meal as much as I did.

IMG_7273.jpg

Art

Top Bottom