Looking for a complete smoker.

pellethead1

Love the idea of set and forget it. Just add pellets. what could be easier. I know the top three brands are Mak, Memphis and Fast Eddy pellet cooker. What do all of you think about the three. Only want to buy one of them.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I really cant give you advice regarding the Fast Eddy. I can answer any questions you may have regarding the MAK or Memphis.... If you search pellet smoking you may find the forum that is primarily Fast EDDY.

Bear

Pellethead,

What you are getting into here is a Ford vs Chevy thing. Most people you talk to are going to like the grill/smoker that they own. I don't think you can go wrong with the MAK or Memphis from Big Poppa, but they each have certain features that are unique. The key is finding out which of these features are important to you, and use that to make a decision.

Big Poppa is one of the few people that I know that cooks on all of the MAK and Memphis models on a regular basis. He can (and will) help you as you decide which one is right for you.

BTW, I have a Memphis Pro, and love it. It does everything that I expected it to do and more.

Trooper

I'm a MAKHEAD (among other things),
I've also had the occasion to be a part of a team cooking on the Fast Eddy FE1000 and The Memphis Pro.
I will testify to this -
You will not be dissapointed with either of the three units.
Trooper

Eli Lawrence

Would someone be kind enought to tell me the advantages of the Memphis Pro over the Mak 2 Star and visa versa --- The reason to buy one over the other ( as price is close that should not be the difference ) -- Is one a better smoker or hotter griller or better long term cooker or easier to use etc???? thanks Eli

Bear

The way I looked at it when I made my purchase is that the Memphis gets hotter, so a quick sear on a steak might be a little better. That is mainly what I was looking to replace was my gasser. I think the pellet usage on the Memphis might be a little lower, especially in the cold weather.

The MAK has the warmer/cold smoker, and the flame zone. Also the pellet boss controller with the probe. I'll let some of the MAK owners weigh in with some other things that I might have forgotten.

I know from personal experience that Hearthland (maker of the Memphis) has great customer service, and I know from interaction on this forum that MAK does too. Both made in the USA!

Big Poppa

Administrator
there is a thread if you search...THey are both great it depends on what your primary use us...how about if you tell us what you want from a grill and we will match you up a little better...

pellethead1

Looking for pellet grill to do low and slow cooks for ribs, butts and briskets. Need it also to do a nice job on steaks and hamburgers too. A good solid 325 for chicken would be nice also. A grill that's easy on pellets would be good. Pellets aren't cheap. My winters it gets to 30's to 50's. Summers 70's - 100's. I cook outside 3 to 5 times a week year round.

Big Poppa

Administrator
both the MAK and memphos fit your needs...the mak has a programmable controller, has built in probes, a warming drawer a quick change pellet drawer and a flame zone. The memphis is insulated, you can blend pellets, and it gets to 650. THey are both exceptional cookers

frank t

I own both the Memphis Pro and the Fast Eddy FE1000PC so I may be able to give you another perspective. First let me say I love both pits and cook on both frequently. They both reach 600+ degrees and both smoke very well. The one thing the FE1000PC does better, IMO, is grill. The FE has a open fire section that, IMO, grills hamburger, dogs, chops, etc better than any other pellet pit, the flavor from the open fire is amazing. Now the Memphis Pro will grill and if you use grill grates the flavor is almost as good. The only other comment I will make is, IMO, the FE produces more smoke at lower temps but has greater temp swings. The Pro can certainly hold a set temp rock steady, which many competition cooks favor. Both are great pits and I think you would have great success with either.
Below is a pic of a steak I cooked last night on the FE1000PC, sorry for the cell phone quality.
photo-4.jpg

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

Which Pit

Like Trooper I'm a MAKhead. We have two MAK Grills. We got the second one so we could cook more food at one time ,most of the times at different temps. The MAK can cook a lot of food at one time. The photo below is of four briskets full packers. I don't think the other pits have the optional grills-space to do this. Whatever you decide give BPS a call, they will take care of you.

MAK-4-Brisket.jpg

Ricker

The comment I will make is, IMO, the FE produces more smoke at lower temps but has greater temp swings.

The FE1000PC has adjustable settings on the controller. If you set the lht and hht close together, the swing is very minimal. I have my lower setting at 3.0 and the hht at 4.5 when smoking around 225 -250 and have very little swing. Just have to dial it in.

HoDeDo

I will be able to give a good comparison after this weekend. I've cooked alot on the FE and can tell you it cooks differently than the Memphis. Heat on the FE when you are not on the sear station comes top-down... there is no infrared or radiant heat from below the food. For comp chicken, that means you can get a even color/finish on your chicken without turning it etc. It will be different that how you typically cook, but works wonderfully. For steaks, etc. I do a reverse sear, with some nice lower indirect heat first... and the FE Grill is great at that. In general pellet cookers are very versatile, so you can't go wrong with any of them :) The MAK is in my sights for this weekend, so I'll give a review in this thread on Sunday!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Andy is doing the pork butt this weekend for Big Poppa Smokers BBQ Team. He had his choice of many cookers to try and he has selected the MAK. It will be fun to get his insights ona low and slow cook. I will be cooking something on it Friday night so he can see something cooked at a higher temp. They are all different but valid. It is a good time to be a pellet smoker as there are a lot of quality choices.

Trooper

I don't know about your geographical location, but you may find someone fairly close to you that has a pellet grill. If you are close to me, a six-pack on most any Saturday afternoon will get you a hands on demonstration.

If you are in warmer climates, there may be some BBQ competitions going on nearby. You very well may find some of the pitmasters firing up a pellet grill or two at the comps. I like getting advice from someone who own and uses one. And maybe at a comp., you'll see some food coming off one of the units.

SilverBullet

MHO is if you don't have the money for a higher end grill. One should take a hard look @ the GMG. You will find alot of better pits out there. You will not find a better pit in its pricepoint. It may not get as hot as your higher end pits (500 degrees) Yet its controller has a lot of added features & I belive they just came out with a new controller that has a meat probe & a remote option

Lou

jmeitz

I own both the Memphis Pro and the Fast Eddy FE1000PC so I may be able to give you another perspective. First let me say I love both pits and cook on both frequently. They both reach 600+ degrees and both smoke very well. The one thing the FE1000PC does better, IMO, is grill. The FE has a open fire section that, IMO, grills hamburger, dogs, chops, etc better than any other pellet pit, the flavor from the open fire is amazing. Now the Memphis Pro will grill and if you use grill grates the flavor is almost as good. The only other comment I will make is, IMO, the FE produces more smoke at lower temps but has greater temp swings. The Pro can certainly hold a set temp rock steady, which many competition cooks favor. Both are great pits and I think you would have great success with either.
Below is a pic of a steak I cooked last night on the FE1000PC, sorry for the cell phone quality.
photo-4.jpg

I agree, plus you cannot catch the FE on fire. Grant thats from not cleaning the unit often though.

Top Bottom