Sausage question for Deb/NePas

TentHunter

I am really enjoying the sausage making especially now that I've done some smoked sausages, but its time to upgrade my equipment.

Deb I see, based on the pics you've posted, that you're using a vertical sausage stuffer to stuff the casings.

What's the advantages/disadvatages of using that type of stuffer versus a stuffing attachment on a grinder? Do you guys prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance for advice on this!

Tent

FLBentRider

I'm not a sausage person (yet), but I've witnessed countless people going down your path. Grinders grind, stuffers stuff.

The advantage is that it works much better. I actually have a stuffing attachment for a KA grinder that I have been trying to give away.

The only disadvantage I see is you have another tool to store.

Deb

I tried using the stuffer attachment for the kitchenaid - once was enough - it works but it's painfully slow and frustrating, the feed tube is too small. I know some people use a grinder with a stuffer attachment but from what I have read the vertical is better , I'm thinking I have read that it's faster - I don't have any first hand experience so it's just based on what I have read.

I have a 5lb. grizzly vertical stuffer... I think it was about $69 plus shipping .... it has plastic gears but it works fine for what I do and I know others that are happy with theirs too.. Some people prefer the LEM which has metal gears and is probably double the price of the grizzly. I think Nepas had/has an LEM but may have just upgraded to something larger than a 5lb

I use the kitchen aid attachment for grinding but after this weekend am considering a meat grinder. The con on the kitchen aid grinder is that the feed tube is very narrow so it takes time to push allthe meat through.

nepas

The KA is a decent grinder for small 2 to 5 pound batches but its a lousy stuffer. I had a plastic gear stuffer but after 350 lbs the teeth went 2x. So i got the LEM 5 with metal gears and a water stuffer. Prob looking at 450 to 500 lbs this year with it.

So more cons with the KA as a stuffer.
Get the vertical stuffer.

TentHunter

The KA is a decent grinder for small 2 to 5 pound batches but its a lousy stuffer... ...Get the vertical stuffer.

I tried using the stuffer attachment for the kitchenaid - once was enough

...Grinders grind, stuffers stuff. The advantage is that it works much better...

Makes sense to me. I figured there must a reason Deb used a vertical stuffer and not her KitchenAid... Really glad I asked!

I'm looking at a #10 Dedicated meat grinder that's suppose to handle larger batches. I am getting one that has all metal gearing & stainless blades/plates.

NePAs, Thanks for the advice on metal gearing stuffers too. I plan on using this stuff for a long time & don't want something that might break.

Thanks for all the input; I knew I came to the right place!

You guys are tops!

vesteroid

If you can catch the small cabelas commercial grinder on sale, its a GREAT unit. I use mine all the time. I make bulk homemade chicken sausage that we cook like breakfast sausage, or use as a hamburger type meat. I have ground both chicken and turkey for chili and we make stuffed sausage about once a month or so.

Beats the heck out of my older 100 dollar plastic model (they all look alike)

One additional thing, it you can put accessories on it, I use the jerky slicer and it takes all the work out of cutting strips.

TentHunter

Thanks Vesteroid! I just looked up the cabelas commercial units and they do look pretty nice. I do like the attachment options. It gives me another option to consider.

Top Bottom