If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Bear

Just wondering how many like to change their recipe with every cook. I'm the type that once I find something that I like, I usually stick to it. I've been cooking butts pretty much the same way for at least 10 or 12 years. I like them that way, and so does just about everyone that has tried them.

I'll try new ideas on some things, and if it is better, I'll stick with that until something better comes along.

I guess my question is, how many like to try something different every time out of the gate?

FLBentRider

I don't change with every cook, but I very rarely cook 1 of anything. We have our "go to" rubs and recipes, but I will try new ones on another rack/butt/whatever.

For example, if I do four butts, I'll do two with my "usual" rub. and experiment with the other two.

SmokinMAK

I'm new enough at this whole BBQ thing that just about every cook is something new or done a little different. I'm sure when I hit my "home runs" I'll get superstitious about my methods and stick to whatever it is that works best for me.

squirtthecat

I'm with FLBR. I'll do a 'mass quantity' of stuff, and set one thing aside and do it different.

Or, I'll do just one big thing, and take it to the office for feedback.

TentHunter

Wow, great question!

I tend to stick to what I like for most cooks, but I do like to change it up now and then trying new recipes techniques, etc. If I'm developing a new recipe, then I'll change it a little each time I cook/use it keeping a log of what changed so I know what worked/didn't work.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I love playing around and in most cases evaluating new rubs and sauces.....for example i wasn't using Carolina treat and I'm on a run with that. I also find that I use the same basic techniques but love to play around with different flavor profiles

danl

I'm always trying new things. That's half the fun. Sometines I'll cook hot, sometines low and slow. The good thing about a pellet cooker is you can screw something up and it still isn't that bad. Experimenting is how you learn new things.

sparky

i am still trying to get it right. i try new things all the time. different rubs, sauces, pellets and cook times. i have yet to cook bbq that just wows me and the mrs. something that just knocks you socks off. i am getting it narrow down somewhat. heh, Bear. since i already use your ribs recipe (that the wife loves, been married 28-29 years and finally got it right).....how about a pork butt recipe to keep her happy.

Bear

i am still trying to get it right. i try new things all the time. different rubs, sauces, pellets and cook times. i have yet to cook bbq that just wows me and the mrs. something that just knocks you socks off. i am getting it narrow down somewhat. heh, Bear. since i already use your ribs recipe (that the wife loves, been married 28-29 years and finally got it right).....how about a pork butt recipe to keep her happy.

Sparky, the way I do pork butts definitely follows the K.I.S.S. principle. I rinse the butt with water, and while it is still wet, I put all of the rub on it that it will hold. I don't rub it on as much as I pat it to make more stick. I use Cookshack Rib rub (sorry BP). I cover all sides, saving the fat cap side for last, so all the rub stays on that side. Smoke at 235* using hickory and apple, for as long as it takes to get to 195* internal. Fat cap up. I never open the smoker during the cook. Remove from the smoker, and wrap in foil, and a towel. Let it rest for at least an hour before pulling. If I am going to hold it for longer, I wrap and place in a cooler with enough towels to fill the extra space. It will keep for 6 hrs or more like that.

scooter

When I cook something to eat with the family I do it the way I like it best. Every weekend though I'm honing those same recipes but not to eat, I usually give the test cook results to the neighbors or relatives that live close by. The last 5 weeks I've probably cooked 15 or more racks of St Louis spares one at a time tweeking each a little different from the last. Cut the middle rib out to test and the rest of the rack goes to which ever lucky neighbor is home at the time. They get it nearly hot off the grill

Top Bottom