Wildomar Results 4-7-12

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK pretty damn fun weekend even if the venue stunk and was dusty....Got to listen to Matt from left coast talk on and on about his food....he was like a grandpa....HAHAHAHA

Seriously let me set this up....I think Left Coast has like 7 or 8 Reserve Grands and no grands in the last year.....If we didnt win it I wanted these guys to....

So chicken......WE get second.....They get first (both cooked on a MAK....3 out of the top four chicken teams were MAK's) WE get 5th in ribs.....they get 4th.....(keep in mind I dont go to awards...I was already 300 miles away when the awards happen.....we dont get a call in pork they do.....brisket comes....ask matt...he is the best brisket cooker alive.....they dont get a call.....We get first.....sounds close right? Except we got a 33 out of 41 in pork....just hammered.....

Grand Champions Left Coast

Big Poppa 8th....

Im teasing Matt a lot here but am very serious about how happy I am for them.....I want the advil franchise for banning, ca. GREAT JOB!

But bbq is a funny game and we are learning what Chris Lilly has told me....Johnny Trigg...it is a fickle and unpredictable game....thats why I love it so much.

I am very happy with the weekend....we cannot cook enough or are good enough to be in the top...we tried last year and cooked 16 contests that qualified....only got to throw 6 out...came in 39th overall...What I realized is that a team like us has to cook for the trophy but really each week has to have the goal of improving in their individual category....so we did that in Chicken Ribs and Brisket.

Rip

Congrats to Left Coast! Good finish for BPS, I think the scoring oddities would drive me nuts! Great finish in chicken, brisket, and ribs.

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

Congrats to The Left Coast Team. Could it have been the special pepper sauce you gave them BP?
Honestly always good to see another "Left Coast" team win and earn the right to compete at the Royal.

sparky

wow, how cool. grand champion. well done left coast q. very proud of ya'll. 8th is better than 9th. well done BPS team. :)

TTNuge

So did you guys know when you turned in the pork that it wasn't some of your best work? Crazy how a team like yours, that has done as well as it has, suddenly drops 30+ points in a category. Especially when you finished just 16 points behind the winner.

What have I gotten myself in to!

Big Poppa

Administrator
it was not our best and the subject of some discussion when assembling the box....but it wasnt 33rd.....but it was so it was....its bbq.

Meat Man

We got one 6 and one 7 on tenderness in pork at Las Vegas, we cooked them suckers for 10 1/2 hours? Hard to imagine. I think there are pork Nazis lurking out there. Congrats on your brisket and 8th overall.

Matt Dalton

Thanks guys for the compliments!..finally the monkey is off our back and it feels excellent let me tell you..BP you crack me up..yourone of the funniest guys I know..congrats on the calls you got..I actually thought you guys had it and was even telling Brad and Jody congrats..then 8th I was stunned..we are on cloud nine!

Big Poppa

Administrator
MATTY diod you notice I didnt say a word when you brought your brisket over......I believed that I had knocked it out of the park....was bery happy to have the judges agree....

Matt how was that rib you sampled?

You can ask anybody....no bs I am so happy for you......well mo....My ears hurt listening to Matt talk about his secret flavor profiles.....

firehouse_bbq

Huge congrats to Matt and LCQ, and great job to BPS also! Guess I need to be next to you both next time and try some of your turn-ins :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
matt gives samples....I dont...hehehehe I gave him a complete reject rib off a rack that we didnt even bother to foil...it was dry as a bone and funky...I then looked for the funkiest sauce .....I killed it with habenero sauce and had Mo bring it to Matt to sample....He was so nice....he said...."you may want to sweeten this up a little"

firehouse_bbq

Ok, here are our results from this contest. We are happy overall, especially since we have not done a KCBS contest in almost a year.

Overall: 12th
Chicken: 29th (this has always been, and continues to be our weakest category, open to any and all tips :D)
Pork Ribs: 6th
Pork: 12th
Brisket: 5th
Beef Ribs: 7th

We used a new brisket injection/marinade recipe and we are really happy with it. All of our comp meats were cooked on our pellet cookers, using BD Hickory and Apple, and we cooked hot & fast @ 275-300. Our pork and brisket went on @ 4am.

Here are pics from our turn-in boxes.

Chicken:
chicken_turn_in.jpg

Pork Ribs:
rib_turn_in.jpg

Pork (before cleaning the box):
pork_turnin.jpg

Brisket:
brisket_turnin.jpg

Beef Ribs:
beef_turnin.jpg

Top Bottom