1 vs 2- Help, please

etriv1

Ok, I am in the market. I am torn on which I should choose. Money is the main factor, but I could be swayed to the 2 Star if you folks give me enough reasons to do it. I am a family of 5, (wife, 3 young kids) and most of my grilling has been pretty simple.... chicken breasts, steaks, and burgers. I hope to do more, eventually, and that is why I am in the market. Should I get the 2 Star, or can I get by with a 1 Star? Thanks

Big Poppa

Administrator
You can more than get by with the one star....The challenging thing is the improvements made on the new two star with the Stainless Body It makes it hard to not pick the 2 star now....warming drawer, more capacity, quick change pellets....they both are fabulous....

Rip

You can't go wrong with either one. I thought the pellet quick change would be a big deal for me, only used it once so far. I thought the warming drawer was no biggie, I use it all the time! That said, the new 2012 2 Star is an awesome machine!

Buffalotom

When I first purchased my two star I rarely used the pellet quick change. Now that I have found this forum, I use it all the time. So many different meats to prepare using different pellets. The warming drawer is used primarily for smoking cheese. I have hard people say that the one star puts out more smoke than the two star, but I have never tried a one star. I like the amount of smoke that my two star puts out.

cowdog

I had the same exact dilemma. Think about all of the accessories you will need/want, and add it all up and compare. After I put together a spreadsheet of everything I needed/wanted, the 2 Star was about $400 more than the 1 Star. So, with the warming drawer and the pellet quick change, and a little bit more cooking area, I thought the xtra money was worth it for the 2 Star. Mine ships tomorrow and I can not wait to receive it, build it, and begin my journey. If you wouldn't want the flame zone and heat diffuser for the 1 Star, or can wait to get them, then you can save some money up front. These come standard with the 2012 2 Star.

Hobbit

Ditto with the other posters. The 2 star lets you use more of its capability as you gain expertise and confidence. I never thought I would be using the warming drawer as a cold smoker as much as I do. My skills grew in a way I hadn't anticipated because the 2 star enabled that growth.

If i had to do it again, i would prob go with the 2 star for this reason only....the new improvments. Having said that, I have a 1 star and love it!!! Im like you etriv1, i have 3 kids and i have never ever needed more space. ...from 3 jumbo spatchcock chickens to 3 racks of ribs (bottom rack). I have the 1/2 shelf that if im smoking more than 3 racks. For example, this past sat (our easter dinner) i had 7 over for dinner (5 in my family w/ 2 guests) and 3 racks were enough. So that gives you an idea. Put my 1/2 rack in and smoked some jacked up baked beans. Plenty of room. 1 star puts out loads of smoke too. You will not go wrong with either IMO. BP and his staff are really helpful and will take care of you through the transaction process and beyond. Mak grills are built to last and will also take great care of you. Not to mention cook great food!!! If mine blew up today or was stolen, i would buy another asap.

jimsbarbecue

Welcome! Either are good grills. We have two MAK two stars which is what I would choose again. Having a stainless body on the 2 star you don't have to worry about sauce spilling on the paint and you get lazy forget to clean and end up with a permanent stain.

etriv1

thank you for your input. I have a couple options that I have found. One being a slightly used 2011 2 star, that is being auctioned, or a 2011 1 or 2 star at a discounted price... about 25%. I am going to try my hand at the auction and hope that there are not many bidders, or just buy one of the 2011's, new. If I don't win the auction, I have to make the decision on a 1 or 2. Maybe then I buy the 1 and use the savings on some upgrades??? Tough call. Either way, I am really looking forward to cooking! Thanks again for the feedback.

Meat Man

Spend it once, get the 2 Star. If you can get a new older model for a 25% discount, that's a very good deal. But I got to tell ya that stainless is sweet.

etriv1

Meat Man, I hear you. I am doing all sorts of mental math and tricks in order to bite the bullet and go 2 Star. Know anyone who wants to buy a lightly used, high end CD player? Know any BBQ/Audiophile Geeks? Haha. New, it costs about the same as a new 2 Star!

Top Bottom