Dont do this..

Chili Head

I got home from work this morning around 2:45 am and got 390 ready for the butt I was going to cook for the weekend contest. I cleaned the firepot out and slid it back in and then I just felt around until I found the pin hole and put the pin in. I fired 390 up, set the pellet boss, put the butt on and went to bed. I got up 7 hours later and everything seemed to be going ok but when I checked the pellets I saw smoke coming from the auger area and a TON of pellets gone. OK thats something Ive never seen before..I checked the fan..yep its runing..is it running backwards? Nope its running the right direction..

photo-1.jpg

It turns out I missed the pin hole when replacing the pin into the fire pot.
With the pin missing the hole the firepot was pushed out a little allowing the air from the fan to escape before it reached the firepot. This caused the pot to fill with ash which forced the air back towards the pellet hopper. There were also hot pellets alongside the auger tube back about 4-6 inches. I also found charred pellets inside the auger tube as well. I noticed those when I fired the MAK back up..

Lesson of the day..Pay Attention when you put your MAK back together after cleaning.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9-1.jpg

After cleaning up the mess and putting things back together correctly..She's running perfectly!!

Last edited:

fishingbouchman

Little things always get ya. Don't run out of pellets and try and fill it back up without turning it off or you will have some nasty smoke.

Chili Head

I knew something was seriously wrong when I saw the smoke coming from the pellet hopper. I hate to think how bad it could have gotten if I had dumped more pellets in and kept it going.
I can guarantee this mistake will never happen again.

MAK DADDY

Funny thing is that happened to me on the proto 2star, the first ones didn't have a pin and the pellets just pushed the pot right off.
Cleaned it all up, drilled a hole in it for a bolt and off it went. Got to work and changed the design :)

KyNola

WOW! Great catch Chili! Just the pic of those burning pellets behind the firepot scared the crap out of me.

Top Bottom