What I did with my weekend

TTNuge

Well first off I Can definitely say I was going through withdrawals. I was able to briefly check in on the forum via my iPhone but just wasn't able to keep up. And then to not be able to participate in the weekend cook-off was a bit harsh as well. I did make some Baby Back's to bring to camp but between finishing them in the oven and everything else going on it just didn't really count.

So this past weekend was the first weekend of Minnesota's Firearms Deer season. It was also the first time my son, Jacob, was going hunting. He actually turned 12 today (Happy Birthday Buddy!) and hadn't stopped talking about using his early Bday present for months. I picked up a nice Youth Shotgun a few months ago with a regular and rifled slug barrel so he was ready to go.

Day one on Saturday was quiet most of the day. Beautiful weather but not many deer moving where we were at. Finally about 5pm on Saturday evening a nice doe stepped out of the woods about 60 yards away from us. At first my son couldn't see the deer but I kept him updated on where she was. Once the deer stepped out to where Jacob could see her he started shaking like a leaf on a tree. It really didn't help that we didn't see any other deer all day so all the excitement and adrenalin all came out at once. The deer took a perfect pass and walked about 45 yards right in front of our stand. I told my son to breathe, relax and take the shot when he was ready. BANG! Deer goes running off into the woods and my boy proceeds to tell me how he nailed her. Well after a few minutes we get out of the stand and look for blood, not a drop to be found, clean miss. Not sure what happened but I'm sure his nerves were at the root of it.

Day Two, Sunday, lots of action and lots of deer. This time is was Dad's turn to miss as a nice 8 Pointer ran through chasing a doe at about 125 yards. I wasn't ready but rushed into position and tried to get off a shot before he disappeared into the woods again. I thought for sure I got him but again, no blood, no sign of a hit, another clean miss. That definitely didn't make Daddy happy!
About an hour later a nice Spike buck came across the clearing right to the spot where I missed the 8 pointer. Since we had more time this time I gave my Son my gun, he waited for the perfect shot and fired a round. This time the deer just stood there. We thought for sure he hit the deer and he was just standing there waiting to drop. So I grabbed my gun from my son and decided to put the deer out of his misery. I then proceeded to put in a perfect shot and dropped the deer in it's tracks. Long story short, after inspecting the deer before and after skinning we determined that my Son never hit him, guess he was just a stupid deer who didn't run off after getting shot at the first time. I was happy to have a deer although we try to practice some deer management and us adults agreed not to shoot any small deer. Under the circumstances no one was too upset about it.

Here's my Boy posing with my Buck...

photo1-vi.jpg

Monday rolls around and we had another beautiful day. Wonderful weather although it was warm out in the stand. Saw lots of movement and deer, most out of range at 300+ yards and none would come in to range. Towards the end of the day my Son did try a 225 yard shot with my rifle at a nice doe but missed cleanly. With his level of experience he probably shouldn't have taken the shot but I encouraged him to out of my own frustration that he didn't get any better shots that day. Wasn't my best decision but at least it was a clean miss and we didn't have an injured deer out there.

And then there was Tuesday, we were planning to hunt until 9am which only gave us a little over 2 hours to hunt and get him his first deer. I didn't have a lot of hope because our spot was a better evening spot but we had to try. Fortunately good luck was on our side as about 6:55 Jacob saw a buck come into the meadow directly away from us at about 325 yards. The deer was basically on a strong heading right towards us. I wasn't sure how close he was going to get so again I gave my Son my rifle instead of using his shotgun. The deer held up once at about 125 yards and I thought that may be the only shot we were going to get. But a few seconds later the deer decided to start walking towards us once again. He just kept coming and kept coming and finally at about 60 yards he cleared the last little tree that was blocking Jake's shot and he fired his shot. This time he must have done everything right. The deer fell almost straight backwards and then onto his side, a few more movements but he then expired quickly for a nice humane kill that didn't have him suffer. It was over in a matter of seconds and I don't know who was more happy, Jacob or myself. 7am on the last day and it was all over, mission accomplished!!

The proud hunter with his first prize buck! A nice three pointer that was "Bigger than Dad's!"
photo6-vi.jpg

So soon there will be venison in the freezer, summer sausage and venison sticks to be made. All of the meat from both of these deer will be seeing my smokers over the next year as I look for those perfect recipes. I can't wait to see what the MAK can do, and we've got backstraps in the fridge right now that will have to be eaten soon!

What a weekend. One I will remember as well as I remember my first deer. I truly think that a lifelong hunter was born this weekend and I hope that someday he gets to share the same experience with his son. I only hope that I will be able to share it as well, just like my Father was able to do yesterday when he came over at the end of the hunt and helped up load the deer onto the Four Wheeler for the trip back to the shack. And the wonderful thing, hopefully I will get to do it all over again twice more as my other 2 sons grow up and join us in the field.

Trent

3Bs-Bar-B-Que

well done all hunters know if you are in the woods for any length of time you will have chances to harvest something wild we all also know you will miss from time to time very kool dad and happy b day Jacob

Trooper

Congrats on your wonderful time together with your son.
The most important part of the trip was the Mega-Bonding.
He'll remember the trip, and you, forever.

MAK DADDY

What a great story, thanks for sharing that!
I have many fond memories hunting with my father. Unfortunately I was more into sports with my boy's so we never seemed to make time for hunting, lots of good memories made none the less :) Nothing beats deer jerky!

Top Bottom