Midnight Ribs Midnight Snack

Chili Head

I had a craving for some ribs and did something about it. I always seem to be cooking into the wee hours of the morning hence the name "Midnight Ribs" . These were done differently than ive done in the past , I didnt remove the membrane first and I didnt foil these. They turned out fantastic! I used the pomegranate balsamic glaze and meat smack rub on the ribs and some chili EVOO and BPS garlic seasoned salt with black pepper on the tips. So good! I burned BBQ delights oak mixed with Lumberjacks 100% apple at a 50 / 50 mix. Check it out..

Ready for some schmear

photo-2.jpg

8-1.jpg

Looking done now..time for the toothpick test.

7-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

I removed the membrane after they were cooked, it came off very easily. I think I'm going to do this on all my ribs from now on.

2-1.jpg

The perfect midnight snack .. Delicious!
3-1.jpg

sparky

those look good to me. good smoke ring. they look juicy. i am curious about why you didnt take the membrane off until after they were done? if you take it off before you get some rub on the underneath side.

Chili Head

The juice was dripping out sparky! Some of the juicier ribs ive ever had. I left the membrane on thinking that may help to keep them from drying out since I wasnt going to flip them. I didnt sauce these at all either. I cooked these at 250 the entire time with 1 hour on smoke to start. Total cook time was around 3 3/4 hours. I'll be doing the next ones the same way to compare results.

Chili Head

I think I'll remove the membrane after cooking next time like I did these but I'll sauce them up and put them back on for a short time.
Maybe do a side by side test..foiled and not foiled this way.

sparky

well, if it works for you too i will try it this weekend. always up for new ideas. chili, how long did you cook them before you but the schmear on? they do look good partner.

fishingbouchman

was watching some BBQ show on some odd station the other day. Just did a search on BBQ and it came up. Looking for the best BBQ restraunt thing. They visited a BBQ joint and they said they always leave the membrane on. Don't remember why. Shouldn't have deleted it so I could go back and see why they did it that way.

sparky

i may cook more ribs than anyone else but i am always up for learning new ideas. my next ribs will be chili's way. i guess you can teach a old dog new tricks. thanks for the tip chili. ;)

SmokinSteiny

was watching some BBQ show on some odd station the other day. Just did a search on BBQ and it came up. Looking for the best BBQ restraunt thing. They visited a BBQ joint and they said they always leave the membrane on. Don't remember why. Shouldn't have deleted it so I could go back and see why they did it that way.

I think I was watching the same show and I think they said it was to retain the juices, say that it makes for a juicier rib and by the looks of Chili's ribs, they look pretty juicy! So, Maybe they are on to something........

ACW3

Those are some fine looking ribs. I haven't cooked any in quite a while. Might be time, real soon. I may just have to give your method a try. Thanks Chili.

Art

Chili Head

Thanks guys!
The membrane peeled right off and was easier to take off after cooking than before. In this case anyway.

cowdog

The juice was dripping out sparky! Some of the juicier ribs ive ever had. I left the membrane on thinking that may help to keep them from drying out since I wasnt going to flip them.

Do you feel that leaving the membrane on is the reason the ribs classified as some of the jucier ribs you've ever had? Or did you happen to buy a good rack of ribs? I've never cooked ribs, but plan to this weekend and am looking for tips. I like your idea of removing the membrane after the cook, then saucing and placing back on for a short time. This may be the strategy I try this time around.

Chili Head

It's hard to say tom. I didn't trim any fat off of these but they didn't look like they needed it. I'm going to try another rack tomorrow and compare results.

cowdog

Cool. I'm very interested to know your thoughts. I just got home with some baby backs I will grill tomorrow, or Sunday.

Top Bottom