Question to competitors - BBQ Competition Season?

TentHunter

Not being a competitor I am know very little about Competition BBQ. I was amazed to learn that BBQ Competitions are still going on this time of the year. Even here in Ohio there is a comp down south of me this weekend.

How long is the competition season, or is it a year long thing? How does the BBQ circuit work?

KimG SOW

Most of the comps during the winter are in the warmer areas of the country. But you will see some in the 'cold' areas. There is one in Great Bend, KS that is in February.

HoDeDo

Cali is having one new years, FL will have events in Dec. and January.... Essentially they will start back up in March here in the midwest... and run through November.... St Louis has one Thanksgiving weekend... and it is full.

Texana

Speaking for Texas there is usually a competition somewhere every weekend .... There is somewhat of a slower time during December and early January but by January 15 things start popping again. Texas has very large amount of "Rodeo" cook off's across the state that start in January and for the most part culminate around the time of the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo BBQ Cookoff.

When it comes to BBQ competitions Texas is truly blessed with an over abundance of events to choose from.

Texana

Yeah..you Texans are the big stick burners...I am trying to sneak off to the Houston Livestock event!

Keep me posted. I am fortunate to have a space there in 2011 and would love to have you drop in for a spell. Would also like to introduce you to Bill Cannon maker of Texas BBQ Rub who also has a booth out there.

Texana

Sure ... but keep this in mind ... the Houston Livestock Show Rodeo BBQ Cook off is not your typical cook off. It is a 3 day party. A Houston tradition. And it is unsanctioned. They have their own rules. Each team only gets to cook one meat. They can select it, but it's tagged, and can not be changed after that point in time. Turn in is on Saturday. Party starts on Thursday evening. 90% of all booths are invitation only with some being impossible to get into ... it's the whole party thang ....

It's also an experience everyone should do once. But you really need to have some contacts on the inside to make it more fun. More places to visit.

Top Bottom