My name is Kevin and I really really want to be a new pellet smoker!

Kevinish

I've been using a custom Drum Smoker for almost a year now and I love it. I didn't know bbq to taste this good (my gasser is now a storage unit).

I'm very interested in pellet smoking and I think I'll sell my motorcycle in the spring so I can buy one. Any advice on a good starter pellet smoker?

jimsbarbecue

Welcome
There are a lot of good units. Being a MAK owner I would suggest the one star. Another one to look at are the Memphis units. Both of these units benefit from their higher priced units because the expense to MAKe and test was done on the higher priced units and grandfather down to the entry level units. Seeing your just a few hours away from me,The biggest benifit of PelletSmoking is you can do it anytime. 15 minutes after flipping the switch your ready to cook. I cook also on a WSM which is in the same arena as a drum, you just can't count on them being ready to put food on in 15 minutes.

Kevinish

Thanks guys. I'm definitely looking at the Mak 1 Star and Memphis Select as potential options. What features do you think would make you choose one over the other?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I believe that the Mak produces more smoke and has the programmable pellet boss, The memphis is bigger and gets hotter

CarterQ

Welcome aboard, you give the folks a BPS a good idea of what you want to do and how you cook and I think they will get you into the right smoker. I'm a biased MAK owner so take this with a grain of salt, The MAK has a lot of cool programming features with the Pellet Boss and tons of accessories and upgrades that keep coming. For an entry level grill the 1 star seems to have more features, and when you feel like it, you can add accessories that get it pretty close to a 2 star.

ACW3

Welcome Kevin from a North Carolina pellet cooker. Being a MAK 2 Star owner, I can say that I am glad I made that choice. I still haven't taken full advantage of all the features of the Pellet Boss, however. I'd recommend looking at how both units would work with your style of cooking. Ultimately, that was what helped me decide to pick the MAK. In my case, the MAK 2 Star gave me a lot more flexibility for the things I wanted to cook. I really love having the cold smoker of the 2 Star. I have cold smoked a lot more fish fillets than I thought I would, and now that the weather is cooling down, I plan to cold smoke a lot of cheese.

Kevinish

Thanks for the advice. I think the Mak 1 star would be a great fit, but I would love to have the warming box (cold smoker). Is there any way to add that to the 1 star as an accessory?

Big Poppa

Administrator
There is no addon available...and if there was by the time you add all the accessories onto the one star you are very close to the two star..the two star also gives you direct fire zone, quick change pellet drawer and a ash cleaning door...

scooter

Do your homework! The MAK is a fine choice if that's what you decide on. Consider the materials a pit is made from, the gauge of metal, features, design etc. Pricepoint is also a consideration.
Welcome to PelletSmoking!

Top Bottom