Contest Contest!!!! Enter to win!

Big Poppa

Administrator
This weeks contest is another great one Im sure...you kids are cooking some great stuff..the creativity and execution is stellar

First Place $25.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$5 credit to every entry!

Bring it on!!!!!!!

RickB

Ok cooks to your grills! We eat with three senses. Sight,smell and taste. We can only judge one of these. So to make up for this we need great recipies, flawless execution and fabulous pictures. So tweak your recipies, show and explain how you cook it and make it look so good I want to take a bite out of my ipad screen! Good luck all.

Last edited:

Chili Head

Looks like I'm first! Whooo!

Today before work I thought I would make burgers and onion rings on the MAK with a grilled mango and butter pecan ice cream for dessert. I hope the pictures turn out I used my iPhone for all of them.

This entire meal was a shoot from the hip type meal. Whatever I found in the house is what I used. I wanted a tasty burger and I had no hamburger..what to do hmmm. I found some tip steak in the fridge that was supposed to be for stir fry Saturday..sorry dear! I got out the meat grinder and ground it up after trimming it.

a6936167-544d-37ab.jpg

a6936167-5461-5a59.jpg

a6936167-5476-e351.jpg

a6936167-548b-1a17.jpg

a6936167-549e-5fbe.jpg

I made three equal meat balls to squish into patties.

a6936167-54e9-22c8.jpg

Dusted with BP's Double Secret Steak Rub!

a6936167-552b-7b76.jpg

I waited until the rings were half done before the burgers went on.

a6936167-56d8-f2d2.jpg

a6936167-56e9-32e3.jpg

Continued..tapatalk willing.

Chili Head

Aight so far so good..tapatalk dont fail me now!

Where we're we?..oh yeah burgers just went on the open flame zone..smells gooood! We're burning BBQ Delight Oak today.

While the burgers are sizzling I cut the mango into two parts leaving out the tough center. I cut the mango into cubes taking care to not cut through the skin.

a6936167-586e-4667.jpg

I made up a schmear to put on them out of cinnamon, dark brown sugar and wait for it...parkay! Cause I didn't have any butter in the house.

a6936167-58f6-505b.jpg

I took the mango schmear and spread it over the mango halves and set them aside.

a6936167-593b-cabb.jpg

Time to flip the burgers!

a6936167-5ab5-fbb2.jpg

Let's cut the cheese! Smoked white cheddar that is!

a6936167-5b3f-be97.jpg

And some veggies and toast some buns.

a6936167-5c38-e3df.jpg

a6936167-5b6c-3c30.jpg

a6936167-5b7b-213c.jpg

a6936167-5b8f-7dee.jpg

a6936167-5bd6-e95c.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

Whoo wee check out the cheesy goodness! I love smoked cheddar!

a6936167-5c6c-b011.jpg

Burgers are off and it's mango time!

Face down to caramelize the sugar.

a6936167-5cda-39f5.jpg

While the mango is doing its thing let's assemble some burgers!

The wife won't do hot peppers..so her burger is put together sissy style.
Onion, pickle and yellow mustard.
I was really wanting tomatoes too..can't wait until summer to pick my own!

a6936167-5d8d-91cc.jpg

For me I like the heat and the experience of the "Burn".
Onion, jalapeños and yellow mustard.

a6936167-5dd5-bb14.jpg

My first self ground burger! Time for a taste..

a6936167-5ea1-5655.jpg

BOOM CHAKA WOW WOW!!
That is one tasty burger!! I can't believe I've never done this before! I'll use a bit more seasoning next time but dang it was good! The rings were nice and crispy too! I'm very satisfied!

Let's not forget the mango and ice cream for dessert!
It's looking good! This is my first grilled mango and won't be the last! It ranks right up there with grilled pineapple.

a6936167-60e3-9dcf.jpg

a6936167-60f8-11f1.jpg

a6936167-6104-ec3e.jpg

This dessert was excellent! The chewy caramelized edges of the mango and the butter pecan Ice cream..match made in heaven. The mango turned out better than expected, happy belly happy guy! Total time invested including eating..2 hours!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

RickB

Don't forget that all entries in the contest must be posted in the contest thread. I got one entry so far. Come on gals and guys lets see some cooks tonight! Let's dazzal BP tonight with some great cooks. And the good part is you might pick his pockets.! Let's burn some pellets and make alot of people happy. Good luck.

FLBentRider

Wings five ways

I started with 9lbs of wings.
DSC_2234.jpg

Fired up #106 to 375F, loaded up the wings. We cook them naked
DSC_2236.jpg

While they were cooking I made up some sauces:

Red Raspberry Chipotle
Wasabi Honey Teriyaki
Traditional Wing sauce (Franks Hot, garlic, butter)

add some dry rubs:
Cajun
Hot Jamaican Curry

They are looking done:
DSC_2235.jpg

Red Raspberry Chipotle
This is definitely a keeper. I combined equal parts chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with red rasberry seedless preserves and took them for a spin in the food processor
DSC_2237.jpg

Hot Jamaican curry (dry)
This was good, but lacked something I could not put my finger on...
DSC_2238.jpg

Wasabi Honey Teriyaki
I combined 1/2 cup of kikkoman teriyaki with about 1 tablespoon of wasabi powder, then added about 1 tablespoon of honey. I brought it to a boil and added some corn starch mixed with some of the sauce.
The end result was too heavy on the teriyaki, not enough heat. Next time I will use less teriyaki and add some other liquid, probably wine, sake or something.
DSC_2239.jpg

Traditional wing sauce with cajun rub
This is a "house favorite" around here. The combination of hot sauce, butter, garlic and cajun seasoning really wakes up the taste buds.
DSC_2240.jpg

Traditional wing sauce with Hot Jamaican Curry.
This is what the curry needed!
DSC_2241.jpg

DSC_2242.jpg

We fed 5 people with 9lbs of wings. I did not get around to counting them, but there were none left over! Wash them down with a cold beer or two and we have a great meal.

SmokinSteiny

Stuffed Pork Loin

We bought a full pork loin from Sam's and cut it into quarters and chops.
Butterflied it so we could stuff it.
Rolled it up and threw it in a foodsaver bag with some SOW Pork Injection and Marinade. Let it marinade over night. In the mean time made some baguettes and dried the crumbs for the pieces for the stuffing.
2012-04-24_20-04-14_864.jpg

Made the baguette stuffing and put a layer on the pork loin.
2012-04-25_15-15-30_264.jpg

Then did a layer of fresh spinach.
2012-04-25_15-17-46_45.jpg

Then some monterrey jack cheese.
2012-04-25_15-19-05_828.jpg

Rolled and did some amateur butcher twine work, but it held it well.
2012-04-25_15-22-49_838.jpg

Traeger set for 275 degrees.
2012-04-25_15-25-54_8.jpg

Let it cook until 155 IT and let rest.
2012-04-25_17-55-10_826.jpg

Sliced, man it looked great, and tasted great.
2012-04-25_17-56-11_275.jpg

2012-04-25_18-00-20_692.jpg

Thanks for looking!:cool:

wneill20

BLT Salad and Red Curry Chicken Kabobs.
The Team
Team.jpg

Bacon cups, Took a muffin pan and weaved the bacon around it.
BaconCups.jpg

On The smoker at 350* for 45 minutes
BaconAlmostDone.jpg

Cups are done
BaconDone.jpg

Take the coconut milk,lime juice,fresh ginger,brown sugar, cumin, Thai red curry paste and pepper in the blinder
Blender.jpg

Pour it over the chicken in a bag and let rest for a couple of hours in the frig.
ChickenInBag.jpg

Ready for smoker
ChickenReady.jpg

On the smoker at 350*
ChickenOnSmoker.jpg

Salad is done
SaladDone.jpg

My Plate
MyPlate.jpg

Jables

My oyster farmer customer dropped off some product again this week. Last week was just a test run, time to trick it up a bit.
The players:
View attachment 1401
Oysters into a beer/water bath.
View attachment 1402
Made up a rockeller sauce of sorts consisting of, 8 ounces each of mozzarella, Monterey jack, and fontina cheese. A carmelized onion and two cloves garlic, and a package of frozen spinach. And a healthy shot of black pepper.
Cooked the oysters in their bath at 300 until they were just starting to release. Took them off and pull the tops off and put the cheese mixture on top of the oysters and threw them back on at 250 for about 45 mins.
View attachment 1403
Best oysters I've cooked yet. Wonderful thing about pelletsmoking is that your efforts are rewarded almost every time.
Prawn season is next.

Chili Head

Italian Chicken on angel hair pasta

Lastnight I made Italian Chicken on angel hair pasta.

Lets get started.

002-12.jpg

I started by layering the ingredients in the dutch oven. First some EVOO and garlic.

003-16.jpg

Then three skinless chicken breasts.

004-14.jpg

Then some green pepper and onion. Between each layer I added some italian seasoning.

006-15.jpg

Tomatoes added.

009-10.jpg

Into the MAK burning oak at 375°

014-13.jpg

While the italian chicken was stewing away I figured I would use the rest of the MAKS real estate and get some thighs going. I can have these for lunch the next couple of days.

016-11.jpg

We got some money, cajun soileaus and some HOT Buffalo sauce. I used chili EVOO for all of them.

Time to join the party! The only thing we're missing is the red solo cup!

024-8.jpg

After flipping them and cooking for about an hour lets see what we got.

026-10.jpg

OH YEAH there looking good!
A quick peak at the italian chicken too is in order.

028-9.jpg

continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

The italian chicken looks done to me..

029-6.jpg

The thighs are done too. Excellent timing!

038-5.jpg

And of course I have to sample one of each! These can be the appitizers ;)

042-4.jpg

Whooo the thighs were great! I'm stuffed but there's still more..

044-3.jpg

The main course..

Italian Chicken on angel hair pasta. Some fresh grated parm over the plate and a glass of wine to enjoy with it.

034-4.jpg

036-3.jpg

037-2.jpg

It was delicious! Nice and tender and not over seasoned. There was an ever so slight smokey taste which in my opinion makes it all better. This was another quick and easy meal. look out Rachael Ray I'm coming for your job! :D

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Scallywag

Mrs and I have been to Cuba many many times... one of my fav places to vacation, great people and amazing food and drink. Seen this cooked elsewhere and I was inspired to try it..Here we go Cuban Ropa Vieja
Started last night.. rubbed a blade roast and let sit overnight..

Smoked for 3 hours..

Main players..

Scallywag

This called for wine and I found this..#99 has to be a winner..

Bacon peppers and onion in a pan to soften...

Add tomato paste and spices..

Scallywag

Into a bigger pan with crushed tomatoes and beef stock..

After 3 hours simmering took the beef out to shred..

Shredded and added some cappers and pimento..

Back in the sauce to meld...

Scallywag

Some Chili and onion Nann bread..

Plated...

Very much enjoyed.. ah memories of vacations..Now time to enjoy this baby in the hot tub with a full glass of #99..Thanks for looking!

Deb

Smoky Bacon Jam and more, oh my!
(MAK Griddle first cook)

Susan was coming over for a breakfast lunch today so yesterday I started prepping.......

I have seen a few people cold smoking ketchup on another forum so I figured smoking some tomato juice might work as a good base for a smokey bloody mary
photo-92.jpg

Recently King Arthur Flour did a blog post on making Bacon Jam , they made in a pan & a crockpot.... I thought about it and decided it would be a great recipe to adapt to the MAK griddle , so early this morning I put a couple pounds of bacon cut into 1 inch pieces into the griddle until crisp
photo-97.jpg

drained out the grease, added a couple softball sized onions, garlic, cider vinegar, maple syrup, apple juice, coffee, a couple of bay leaves and later some brown sugar
photo-96.jpg

cooked it all down til it looked like this
photo-92-1.jpg

bay leaves out, little spin around the food processor
photo-93-1.jpg

I think we both agreed that we would have been happy with a spoon and that batch of jam but there was more planned.....

to be continued

Deb

because we didn't have enough bacon already a few strips on the grill, then some breakfast sausage I mixed up this morning into the griddle
DSC06484.jpg

then I mixed up some biscuit dough, rolled it out, some pesto on part, bacon jam on all
DSC06486.jpg

the sausage and some gruyere cheese
DSC06487.jpg

rolled it up cinnamon roll style and cut into slices
DSC06488.jpg

DSC06489.jpg

hash browns onto the griddle, when they were just about done pushed them back, some bacon on to heat up, and a couple of eggs
DSC06491.jpg

mixed up a couple of bloody mary's and plated the food

DSC06505.jpg

food was awesome, we had fun , our pups are happy & tired (they are best buds and had a great time playing)
photo-97-1.jpg

soupyjones

I was hoping to try my hand at beef wellington this weekend, beef prices made that a no go for the time being. I went with some chicken I had in the fridge and some stuff I was going to put on the wellington. I marinaded the buzzard in some homemade tzaziki I made the day before, rinsed the extra off and patted them dry.
020.jpg

I really wanted to add some punch to them so I made a topping out of a portabella garlic and bacon
019.jpg

Rolled out some puff pastry and added the two together.
021.jpg

I had 2 more breasts that will be lunch tomorrow. Here the team is ready to go.
022-1.jpg

On the Traeger with the tenders i hit with 2 rubs
023-1.jpg

Off and resting
024-1.jpg

My plate with some corn salad and mixed veggies with a bit of rice.
025.jpg

Served it up sparky style with a glass of milk. thanks for looking guys.

The Breakfast Burger

Decided to go easy this weekend with a lot goin on in my neck of the woods. Graduation is getting close for daughter #1 and she loves breakfast food and I love burgers so why not have both!!!

Lets get started: Set Mak 1 Star on high to get Mak Gridde and Grill Grates hot:
WP_000490.jpg

Gonna give the Griddle some love today:
WP_000489.jpg

While breakfast was cookin I decided to have a playoff. On the left is Chopped Sirloin with LLw/P, Double Garlic, and Double Secret. On the right is Ground Round approx. 80/20 with only MONEY!!!

WP_000491.jpg

All dressed up and ready to go!!
WP_000492.jpg

On the Mak: Flipped 'em only once
WP_000493.jpg

Threw on some eggs to finish:
WP_000495.jpg

All plated up and ready to eat: This is the Chopped Sirloin
WP_000496.jpg

As for which burger won? Doesnt matter its all good!!!
Chopped Sirloin was fab w/ the Dbl Secret and the Money was "On the Money"

Was a great day for the family and received a lot of compliments on the Ground Round w/Money (excellent yet complex flavor profile IMO) There's a lot goin on there BP and its all good!!!

Thanks for lookin

Top Bottom