Pork Butt on the MAK 1 Star

SmokinMAK

Well, it's time. I've done enough "playing" with the 1 Star, it's time to put it to work.

I have a Costco pork butt thawed, and have prepared a modified version of Chris Lilly's injection and rub. I'll be putting in the Butt tonight about 10pm.

I'll use the program feature of the Pellet Boss to smoke it for a few hours, then go to 200 degrees. In the morning when it reaches 165 I'm going non-traditional, and putting it in a foil roasting pan with a sliced onion, green bell pepper, three jalapeno's, a bottle of beer and some apple juice. Using Bear Mountain Hickory and Apple 1:1 mix.

I'll pull it at 200 IT and let it rest in the cooler till dinner. I have some potato rolls, Swiss cheese, and Bone Suckin' Sauce to finish it off.

My camera and my plating skills suck, so expect the pron to be substandard, but expect the reports of the experience and taste to be right on. ;)

IMG_4198.jpg

Prepped and ready to go on. Injected, rubbed with mustard and the Chris Lilly knock-off.
IMG_4199.jpg

After 12 hours. Into the pan and pit to 275 until IT 200.

Last edited:

Phrett Bender

Unless you're planning on using your mixture @ 165 in a finishing sauce or BBQ sauce I don't think it will make any difference on the meat, unless the meat is encased in the liquid. Everything else sounds super!

SmokinMAK

Hi Phrett.

If you mean the onion, bell pepper and jalapenos - I plan on mixing the cooked veggies in with the pork when I pull it. Similar to a shredded beef recipe we did a couple weeks ago that was delicious.

SmokinMAK

Pork Butt on the 1 Star

I am new to BBQ/Smoking, and this was my third pork butt to date. It was also the best. The butt had great color/smoke ring, and a nice bark. Tender and juicy, my whole family loved it and although my wife passed on seconds (diet), she was picking at the leftovers after dinner.

The 1 Star is a solid pit and did a great job on this cook!

IMG_4200.jpg

200 IT, practically pulling itself. Into the foil, towel, cooler.
IMG_4201.jpg

Pulled and ready to serve!
IMG_4202.jpg

Told you my camera and plating skills sucked. Everyone had seconds, and both my boys want this for lunch tomorrow.

SmokinMAK

Thanks deb.

That it does BP. I inadvertently left it on smoke instead of cranking it to 200 (I programmed the Pellet Boss, but forgot to start the program) so it essentially smoked for the better part of 12 hours. I was concerned that it might be too much smoke (BM pellets Hickory/Apple 1:1). This butt got tremendous amounts of smoke but did not taste over-smoked at all. My oldest boy is a very picky eater when it comes to meat, and he absolutely loved this. Said he wants me to only BBQ pork butts from now on!

My first overnight smoke - I couldn't believe how awesome it was to wake-up to the smell of smoke!! I'm hooked.

MAK DADDY

Great job! I will have to try that recipe with the onions and garlic, like your picky son pork butt's are my favorite too!
You're not the first one to forget to start the user program :) What I look for now is the extra screen where time or temp is running from the program.

Top Bottom