Chicken & Rib Celebration

TentHunter

After a week of not eating much (Flu) and being content just looking at all of your food pics posted here... I AM HUNGRY!!!!

I got off work early today at 2 o'clock and headed straight to the butcher shop. I couldn't decide which sounded better: a slab of ribs or a chicken. I was too hungry to try to sort it out so I got both!

CarterQ's ribs looked extra good so I'm doing Memphis style spareribs and I'll be doing Apple-wood smoked spatchcock chicken.

I'm getting ready to go foil the ribs, but here's what I have so far:

I trimmed to a St' Louis cut, applied a thin coat of CYM and hit it with a heavy coating of my homemade rib rub. then Onto the smoker with Apple-wood & Hickory for a couple hours.
MR01.JPG

The Breast bone always goes on with the ribs and becomes the dog's treat.
MR02.JPG

I'll post more as the cook progresses.

Man these are gonna be soooo good!

TentHunter

Part 2

OK, Got the ribs foiled and added a little of braising liquid (equal parts: Beer, Cider Vinegar, Brown Sugar)

They'll steam for about 1 hour then I'll start checking. When I pick them up in the middle and they start to tear, I'll pull them and place them back on the smoker to finish for about 15 - 30 minutes.
MR03.JPG

I got the chicken spatchcocked, rubbed both sides with a little olive oil and seasoned with a savory herb mix: (1 tsp. Sage + 1/2 tsp. each: Sea Salt, Rosemary & Black Pepper).

SC01.JPG

Because of the temp difference for the ribs, The chicken went on the Weber Kettle running about 350° using Apple wood for smoke.

To be continued...

ht01us

What's that little extra piece? Is it a rib that you cut off one end because it wouldn't fit, or something else?

TentHunter

Chicken & Ribs - Final

Alright the final part to this Chicken & rib feast- and what a feast it was!

While the chicken cooked I put the backbone it a small pot with some carrot, celery, onion & seasonings to make a quick stock for some mashed potatoes.

The ribs were pulled from the foil, hit with some more rub and put back on to finish.
MR04.JPG

The wife got home from work just as the ribs & chicken finished. I love Applewood smoke for poultry, not just for the sweet smoky flavor but also for the beautiful chestnut brown color it gives.
SC02.JPG

My daughter whipped up a batch of mashed potatoes while I pulled & sliced the ribs & chicken.

The chicken was savory and unbelievably moist (no need to brine or inject when spatchcocking). The Memphis Ribs were tender, moist, slightly sweet & perfectly messy!
MR05.JPG

We served it up with the mashed potatoes and a green salad.

After a week of no appetite & no BBQ I was in ten kinds of heaven!

Thanks for sneaking a peek and thanks for keeping me going this past week with all your pics!

TentHunter

What's that little extra piece? Is it a rib that you cut off one end because it wouldn't fit, or something else?

That's the breast bone thats cut off when you trim Spareribs for a St. Louis cut. I always cook it up as a treat for Lucy, our little Jack Russel (Can't forget the pooch!).

ht01us

That's the breast bone thats cut off when you trim Spareribs for a St. Louis cut. I always cook it up as a treat for Lucy, our little Jack Russel (Can't forget the pooch!).

Yum! Thanks for the explanation. It looks like quite a feast!

Top Bottom