First try at DrybagSteak Aging

MossyMO

First time trying the DrybagSteak aging with a beef ribeye and a beef lion strip. Here it is in the Cyrovac package from SAM’s Club.

-----

-----

Here is the beef loin strip vacuumed and sealed into the Drybag for a long nap in the fridge.

-----

We put the beef loin strip in a fridge that doesn’t get opened everyday so that it wouldn’t get disturbed on March 19th. It was placed on a cooling rack on the bottom shelf of the fridge so that it would have air circulating all around it and would be in the coolest part of the fridge. It stayed there until May 3rd (47 days of aging).

It doesn’t look real pretty coming out of the fridge….

-----

-----

Out of the package and cut into nice thick steaks. So far no trimming has happened. There is a hard crust that forms on the outside of the meat that needs to be trimmed away before grilling or cooking.

-----

Here is an example of one of the steaks trimmed up.

-----

All the steaks trimmed up, these all got packaged for the freezer using a FoodSaver.

-----

We did the same thing with ribeye that aged from March 24th to May 3rd (41 days of aging). The steaks were the best we have ever had, we didn’t even need a steak knife to cut them. Here is a link to the smoked/grilled ribeye - http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet...brussels-sprouts-garlic-toast-4238/#post46172
We will be doing many more Drybag aging of steaks, in fact the next day we went out and picked up another ribeye!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

rmi63

I too just finished aging a 14lb New York strip subprimal in the drybag for 30 days. It was very good. Much more tender than a non aged NY strip and the flavoring was also very good. I ended up smoking it for roughly 60 minutes using mesquite pellets and finished searing it on some grill grates on the gasser. I also just started a 19lb ribeye that I plan on taking at least 30 days but am shooting for 45 days.

sparky

this is interesting. so, it was frozen from sams then put in the frig for 41 days then cut the icky stuff off on now back in the freezer? true. i'm not understanding this concept. won't meat go bad if left in frig past the experation date?

RickB

this is interesting. so, it was frozen from sams then put in the frig for 41 days then cut the icky stuff off on now back in the freezer? true. i'm not understanding this concept. won't meat go bad if left in frig past the experation date?

Spark, dont think it was ever frozen until aging was done. I do the same thing but wet age all my whole rib eyes. I leave them in the cryo pak and put them in the back fridge that doesnt get opened much for about a month before i cut and freeze. This is a drybag which is more like dry aged beef but in a vac pak.I know all about dry aging and the benefits. But the point with open air dry aging is you lose alot of water weight which concentrates the flavor as the aging tenderizes the meat. I guess the drybag must somehow let the moister out. Got to look into this some more. Open air dry aging is very difficult at home.

Last edited:

MossyMO

If you do a search on "Drybag Steak Technology" you will find all the info on the process. The meat is thawed when taken out of the Cyrovac and put directly into the Drybag and then vacuum sealed. Then it is set on a cooling rack (for air circulation) and into a fridge undisturbed for whatever time you want to age the meat. The Drybag is designed to let out moisture, but not let in air this bacteria will not form. When we removed our sirloin and ribeye we cut into steaks, trimmed the dry edges and Foodsavered everything to freeze for use on a later date except for the ribeye we cooked for the dinner shown in this post.

In a nutshell that is a fast explanation... I think rmi63 has done this Drybag aging a time or tow and may know more, this was our first time trying the process.

sparky

drybag is different than cryovac? you explained it well marty. i'm going to look into this. sounds interesting.

rmi63

Go to the drybagsteak website to find lots of information on the process. I use a Vacmaster chamber sealer so I have to cut the subprimals in half to fit in my sealer but it seems easier than the snorkel sealer that they sell. They just came out with a product that you can now use their bags with a foodsaver sealer. Restaurant Depot is another good place to get your subprimals. I don't think they sell prime but I have been pretty satisfied with the angus choice label.

Ron

Top Bottom