Mexican style ribs with Camote.

Chili Head

Saturday I made mexican BBQ ribs and a mexican sweet potato dish called Camote.

Teaser picture!

033-7.jpg

I started this off by trimming up some spares and making the trimmings into tips for the wife. The tips just got a dusting of Meat Smack rub. The rib portion got rubbed with the wet mecican rub I'm about to show you.

001-10.jpg

Here's the ingredients I used for the wet rub on the ribs.

003-17.jpg

This is just enough for one slab of ribs.

1TB ancho powder or 3 ancho chillies
1 Tomato (skinned)
3 chipoltles in adobo sauce
1/4 ts cumin
1TB Mas Guapo
1TB chopped garlic
juice of 1/2 orange
juice of 1/2 lime

004-15.jpg

I ran all that through the blender and rubbed the ribs down. The left over I simmered on the stove to condence it down into a paste for schmearing later.

005-12.jpg

007-12.jpg

012-13.jpg

Into the MAK at 250° burning a mix of hickory,cherry and maple. These were foiled after an 1 1/2 hours.

008-12.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

Here the tips are going into foil with a schmear.

009-11.jpg

Happy Happy!

010-7.jpg

Here I'm rubbing the what I'll call the paste over the ribs again before going into the foil. I put on a pretty good coating but left just enough to rub them again once out of the foil.

013-11.jpg

014-14.jpg

015-12.jpg

The ribs are going to cook another hour or so and thats just enough time for the camote to cook. This is super simple and compliments the spicy ribs perfectly.

I skinned three sweet potatoes and cubed them up into 1 inch cubes.

017-10.jpg

018-13.jpg

Next I buttered a dish and put the cubed sweet potatoes in. I covered the dish and cooked them at 375° for 45 minutes.

While the potatoes are cooking I got the other camote ingredients together.

1 stick of butter
1/4 cup of honey
a few dashes of cinnamon.

019-13.jpg

Told ya it was super simple!
I melted the butter and honey in the microwave for 30 seconds and gave it a quick stir.
Once the potatoes are close to done I poured the butter, honey and cinnamon over the potatoes and cooked them uncovered for another 10 - 15 minutes. Here they are going back into the oven.

023-9.jpg

The ribs are getting really close now and here they are coming out of the foil. Whooo they smell good!

020-12.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

Two words.."OH YEAH"
One more schmearing with the paste I made earlier and the foil juices then back on for ten minutes.

021-12.jpg

022-12.jpg

Ribs are done so lets eat!!

The wifes tips are looking good!

024-9.jpg

026-11.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

Lets plate up some mexican style ribs and camote.

029-7.jpg

030-8.jpg

032-6.jpg

034-5.jpg

I added a tortilla to sop up the honey butter from the sweet potatoes..delicious!
A cold XX to wash it down with was the perfect compliment to the meal.
The ribs....tender, spicy but not over the top spicy and the sweetness off the potatoes
went very well with the spicy ribs.

Thanks for looking!

Tatonka3A2

Looks excellent as always! Love the easy way of cooking the sweet potatoes. I think I will have to try that soon. Thanks!!

ACW3

The ribs look like Sparky's ribs. Good job!!! I'm not much of a sweet potato fan, but I wouldn't hesitate to eat those. They looked really good. I did have some sweet potato fries recently that were worth ordering again. I must be changing in my old age.

Art

Top Bottom