tamale-like work in progress

Deb

I wasn't 100% sure where I was headed but I roasted these last night

photo-98.jpg

I have been craving tamales, I didn't really want to make them because they are so time consuming and I had other plans for part of today

kayak.jpg

I thought maybe a tamale pie would do it even though it isn't quite the same thing. I found a blog that had done one with masa instead of cornmeal so I was hopeful. The recipe I found was for pork and I bet a pulled pork filling would be great but I just wanted simple salsa verde & cheese. So....

I made a salsa verde with the tomatillos, poblanos, a jalapeno, garlic & some onion.
Mixed up some tamale dough (this was an odd recipe calling for oil instead of lard)
Spread it in baking dish, some montery jack, pepper jack and some of the salsa verde
photo-98-1.jpg

more masa on top, I decided to cover one with foil and one without to see if the uncovered one would be crispy on top. Into a water bath to try to "steam" and not bake.

photo-99-1.jpg

photo-100.jpg

Results were a little better than fair, I think it has promise. I want to try it in a muffin pan with muffin papers, more filling, less masa and a better dough recipe

a piece of the covered on the left, uncovered right on more of the salsa verde

photo-102.jpg

also did a turkey for my mom

photo-97-1.jpg

Deb

salsa verde flavor was good but could have used some more heat - some serranos maybe

masa needs work - needed more liquid and to sit longer before using,

Top Bottom