Canadian East Coast Donairs

Scallywag

I have been lucky enough to try these in Halifax the couple times I have been there but cant seem to find them elsewhere. They are damn tasty and I crave them so what to do?? Oh I know.. lets just make them myself!!
The main players...

Pureed some onions in the Magic Bullet, put in a paper towel and wrung all the liquid out

Ready to mix..

Last edited:

Scallywag

You have to really work this meat for 20 mins or so without a food processor.. you want it almost paste like..

Rolled it up and put i the freezer for 30 mins to set..

Then off to smoke for an hour..

Bumped to 300 till it hit 150 and pulled to cool.. easier to slice that way..looks pretty!

Scallywag

Now for the magic secret.. this may sound weird but trust me on this one.. here are the players for the sauce..

Mix the Evap milk with 3/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and then slowly add white vinegar until it starts to thicken took me about 5 teaspoons to get it nice and thick. Let it chill for 30 mins in the fridge..

Took some pitas and put them in the warming drawer with cheeze to soften..

Scallywag

Sliced the meat thin.. Gyro style and threw into a hot pan to warm and brown..

Plated with some diced tomatoes.. recipe calls for onions as well but I dont like them raw..

Holy Kamolie.. fantastic.. only thing I will do differently is not put the sauce right on it. Instead spoon some on top just before you take a bite.. cold sweet sauce with a hot tangy meat.. this will be a new household fav for sure!!
Thanks for looking!

Jables

Looks deadly. I have friends out here from Halifax and donairs are all they talk about. They're quite tasty, just make sure everyone in the house is eating them.

RickB

Are you kidding me! That looks killer. Never heard of this before. Will probably pm you on this one.

Last edited:

RickB

Looks deadly. I have friends out here from Halifax and donairs are all they talk about. They're quite tasty, just make sure everyone in the house is eating them.

Im assuming you mean the onions. Dont matter to me, anyone that doesnt like onions are not worthy!

Jables

Nothing against onions here either. I've just heard too many stories of too many donairs and beers and the by products that they produce. Isn't Halifax the pub and donair capital of Canada?

Tatonka3A2

Very interesting.... never heard of it before but looks pretty good!

Would that sauce be good on other stuff?

RickB

Nothing against onions here either. I've just heard too many stories of too many donairs and beers and the by products that they produce. Isn't Halifax the pub and donair capital of Canada?

My bad... Didnt think about the (by products) ;)

sparky

very cool. like a gyro thing here. ya, post this recipe completely plz. i like it. your a he!! of a cook buddy. i am truely impressed. wish i lived closer to ya. i'd bring the FT over. :cool:

Scallywag

hope you guys enjoy it!! rename it the Scallywag Donair in the US..funny how such a great treat like this is only local to a very small part of Canada.. glad I could share with you guys!

Top Bottom