Smokin' Again, Part 2 (Pork Belly Confit)

ACW3

This required a separate posting due to the number of pictures to show what was going on.

Appetizer number 2 is a bit different than any appetizers I have seen. It is Pork Belly Confit. It is Jim Drohman’s recipe in Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn’s book Charcuterie. This is a somewhat labor/time intensive process, but it was worth every minute I spent putting it together. And before anyone asks, yes, I would do it again.

I made a half recipe (using a three pound p[iece of pork belly), following their directions as closely as possible. Two major differences, however. First, I left the skin on the pork belly and scored it in a diamond pattern. (I had further plans for the pork skin.) After cooking the pork belly slowly in my Dutch oven, I cooled the pork belly overnight and then smoked it on my MAK with BD cherry pellets.

The pork belly, scored and ready to be seasoned.

IMG_7713.jpg

The spices have been rubbed into both sides of the pork belly.

IMG_7715.jpg

The next step is to add the Pinot Grigio to the rubbed pork belly, and wait for about a day and a half.

IMG_7716.jpg

The Dutch oven has enough lard melted into it to cover the pork belly, which I had to cut in half in order to make it fit properly.

IMG_7718.jpg

After cooking the pork belly in the lard for several hours in the oven, the pork belly was removed and put on the MAK to get some cherry smoke. This is the cut up pieces of the “meat” part of the pork belly, ready to be deep fried and served.

IMG_7743.jpg

This is what it looks like after deep frying.

IMG_7745.jpg

Now this is the reason I kept the skin on the pork belly. I wanted to be able to make some brined, smoke flavored chicharones. That Pinot Grigio brine was amazing. It imparted a not-to-sweet flavor to the pork skins.

IMG_7746.jpg

Here is an appetizer plate with some mixed greens topped with several pieces of Pork Belly Confit. I drizzled a little blood orange EVOO on and around the greens. This step really finished the appetizer. The slightly crunchy outside of the confit and the inside that just melted in my mouth. The overall flavors were out of bounds.

IMG_7736.jpg

Wait, there is one more part to post.

Art

Top Bottom