Minnesota in May

TTNuge

I guess there are worse conditions to have for your first contest but it was 90+ degrees both days with winds gusting near 30mph and pretty much over 15-20 all day both days. Hot, sweaty and sticky were the words of the game.

I'm cooking with a friend of mine from the town I live it, we actually met through another BBQ forum and learned we were both interested in competing. After planning all winter the time had finally come. We decided I would do Chicken and Pork while he would do Ribs and Brisket. That way we would each have an hour between turn ins and could take our time having one long cook and one quicker cook.

I have been fretting over my chicken for at least 6 weeks. Making thighs each weekend trying to get it perfect. The last two practice cooks were good but I still wasn't satisfied. The whole time I was pretty happy with my pork.

Even my team-mate had been telling me that my pork was so good and had to be a winner. But things are often not as they seem. I finished with a respectable 26th in pork and the score wasn't terrible. I know I have a few things to work on to get it into a top 10 product.

But chicken, well chicken.......

IMG_4226-vi.jpg

I dig chicken! Let me just say, Big Poppa, your new rubs are MONEY!

Chicken - 5th
Ribs - 14th
Pork - 26th
Brisket - 51st (Ouch, but we know what was wrong and hopefully can correct it in 2 weeks)
Overall - 24th Top Rookie team for the event!

Not bad for a first comp with 64 teams and some pretty big names from these parts.

Couldn't have done it without all the knowledge here, from BP, from Johnny Trigg and so many others that compete and are nice enough to share some info with us new guys!

MossyMO

Congrats! you done well, especially it being your first competition. I have never competed but I assume the first year to be quite a learning experience...

sparky

congrats on your 1st comp trent. chicken, 5th out of 64. outstanding partner. well done my friend.

TTNuge

Thanks everyone for the kind words! After a few good night's sleep I can't wait to do it again in 2 weeks. It was a lot of fun and hearing our team name get called was unbelievable.

Top Bottom