Best method of freezing pulled pork

Kevinish

What do you find is the best method to freeze the extra pulled pork? Some say that putting it in a sauce helps a lot. Any tricks that you've come up with over the years?

LTS

just put in a vac bag and vac seal it up freeze then throw in hot water to rewarm a little juice would not hurt either

LTS

squirtthecat

just put in a vac bag and vac seal it up freeze then throw in hot water to rewarm a little juice would not hurt either

LTS

Ditto.

I would suggest keeping the portions down to 2 pounds or so... Otherwise it is a bit of a pain to thaw/reheat. Quart bags are perfect for 2 pound quantities.

20101108185338.jpg

squirtthecat

Oh, and I put a 'glug' or 2 of apple cider vinegar in each bag before I seal them. If they reheat the sealed bags in a pan of hot water, it helps to shoot a bit of extra moisture into the pork.

(and when they open the bag... Ahhh... vinegar porky goodness)

SmokinMAK

Sorry to say, I don't have a vacuum sealer (yet) so I rely on zip lock baggies. I portion them out into single servings in small baggies, then put all the small ones into a large one. I squeeze as much air out as possible. I haven't tried the juice trick yet (damn, I already froze my leftovers from this evening), but will next go around.

TentHunter

The juice makes vac sealing a little tricky sometimes. My wife says partially freezing first then sealing the bag corrects this.

Oh, and I put a 'glug' or 2 of apple cider vinegar in each bag before I seal them. If they reheat the sealed bags in a pan of hot water, it helps to shoot a bit of extra moisture into the pork.

(and when they open the bag... Ahhh... vinegar porky goodness)

Having lived in NC for 12+ years and loving Eastern Carolina Pulled Pork... Squirt, reading that just brought a tear to my eye. Great memories!

squirtthecat

I wrecked my first FoodSaver pulling juice into it. So I weigh/bag up the pork, and put the unsealed bags in gallon ziplock bags and into the fridge overnight. (ziplock bag to keep the smoked pork from fumigating the fridge) Wipe off the condensation and seal the next day.

KyNola

One other piece of info that might be helpful. When you place the vac sealed bag in the hot water to thaw and heat, try to position the bag so the sealed end of the bag remains out of the water. Otherwise you run the risk of the seal opening and you have a bag full pork swimming in water. Don't ask me how I know. :(

Top Bottom