Vacuum Sealler

So Cal Smoker

Do you use a Vacuum sealer for your leftover smokes? If you do.

What brand of sealer?

What brand bags do you use?

Do you reuse the bags?

How would you rate your Vacuum sealer?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I usually keep the leftovers and make stuff like tacos and enchiladas, salads sammies but when I do I use the Foodsaver at costco...I don t reuse the bags...pretty much an essential item though

Bear

Mine is a Foodsaver also, and I use the Foodsaver bags.

I don't re-use them.

My sealer is an older model, but still does the job.

jimsbarbecue

Cabelas after three foodsavers. As far as the bags. Whats on sale foodsaver , Cabelas house brand. The one tip is the food needs space around the entire contents for proper sealing. I usually don't reuse them. To much work to clean.

TentHunter

Small amounts of leftovers we just zipper bag and use for sandwiches, tacos, etc.

For large amounts, we have a Black & Decker 'Fresh Guard' vac sealer. Can't say that its any better/worse than the Foodsaver brand.

For smoked cheese the vac sealer will pay for itself!

Re: Brands of bags - my wife said she can't really tell any difference from one brand versus another. She also said the roll of sealer tube is more economical since there is less waste. You roll out & cut off the amount you need.

She insists that the main thing is not to have any flowing juices when sealing or it may not seal and the juice can get into the pump and ruin it. She will partially freeze meats or leftovers before sealing the bags.

Squirt posted this on another thread just this morning:

I wrecked my first FoodSaver pulling juice into it. So I weigh/bag up the pork, and put the unsealed bags in gallon ziplock bags and into the fridge overnight. (ziplock bag to keep the smoked pork from fumigating the fridge) Wipe off the condensation and seal the next day.

TentHunter

Nope, that's her department, and she makes me get out of the way!

I'd be in all kinds of trouble if it weren't for her :p!

squirtthecat

I had the basic FoodSaver from Sam's club, and I bought a spare just in case. (good thing, too)

I get my bags from an Ebay store, very reasonably priced. Quantities of 100 in quart and gallon sizes.

HoDeDo

I think there is a second good thread going on this squirt. Check out chamber vacuum sealers vs. channel type, if you have issues burning up the channel types....

Deb

I have a foodsaver from costco. I use the foodsaver bags (too lazy to use the rolls). If I'm too lazy to use the rolls, I'm definately too lazy to reuse the bags. I order the bags when they have them on sale direct from foodsaver - the savings goes up when you buy more. I just bought some and I think I ended up with 30% off and free shipping - I have enough for at least 6 months now.

the one I have does what I need it to do. When it dies I may look at the Cabela's but more than likely will just get another foodsaver from Costco.

Texana

After 3 years and 3 Food Savers I had had enough. I had to ask myself why am I investing in a product that is made to fail and with a company that just wants you to purchase a new one. You see Food Saver will not sell replacement parts for their products. They want it disposable so you have to purchase a new one. As a consumer I had to find a product that had me in mind.

I did .... The Pro 2300 Vacuum Sealer. Check it out at Pro Vacuum Sealers

This thing is awesome. Not only can I purchase replacement pars if I need them the bags are cheaper and better than food saver. The seal is much wider and more reliable as well. The best feature is it's 15" width. I can now purchase a 15" bag and seal a full packer. It's great. Now I know what your gonna say .... $400 .... no way .... well take if from someone who has been through the cheaper ones ... If I had purchased this several years ago I would be ahead of the game. So learn ... spend the extra .... you will not regret it.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I am looking at that unit closelly ...Thanks Texana....I feel like I wrestling an alligator sometime with the foodsaver.

i look at the foodsaver and this unit like I look at the pellet grills....Save up and get the better one its cheaper...its like people who ask me about guitars...I say "Are you or your kid really serious?" IF they say yes then I tell them to buy a quality entry level unit...buying the cheapest one is just omore expensive in the long run.

SmokinMAK

Hmmm. Maybe I'll wait til BP sells one in his store - then I know it will be of the quality I want.

Last edited:

So Cal Smoker

I too have gone through a couple of FoodSavers. I was going to buy another FoodSaver but a friend of mine bought a Cabela's CG15 and once I saw this unit in action I was sold. I ordered the CG15 the next day and have no regrets. You can order the bags in a 11"X50' roll for $19.99. I don't reuse the bags but they say you can if you clean them. The Cabela's CG15 is a little pricey but well worth the money, buy quality and be happy.

HoDeDo

Texana... that pro sealer is very similar to the Cabela's high end channel sealing unit. They now also sell a $799 chamber sealer, which I have found online elsewhere for about $640 shipped... I'd like to find a used large scale unit for about $1000... they are amazing.

Todd came across one, and I have serious vacuum packaging envy LOL.... made me do my research on all of them. If I got a channel based one, it would be that Pro 2300, But I am holding out for the Chamber unit... my second food saver will die here eventually (it isn't pulling down like it used to) It was a cabela's food saver that was rated for higher usage, than the standard models (game saver pro, I believe it was branded, from Tilia). My next one is going to be a commercial unit. Just like BP said, if I'd have spent the money originally.... I wouldnt be on my second $200 unit now... I'd have spent my money once, and had no other issues.

5 Hole

The BPS team just received The Pro 2300 Vacuum Sealer....it works very well. Very solidly built. It vacuums and seals quickly. Our other sealer had a 8" width and this one has 15"!!

Thanks for the heads up Texana!

Top Bottom