First pork butt I smoked on my MAK .

HogSmoker

I have smoked several butts but this is the first not using my brinkman barrel smoker. Lot easier on the MAK forsure, however not pleased with end results. Got to do more experimenting and question asking.

100_0758.jpg

Up at 2am this morning putting on the two pork butts. After two hours on smoke up the temp too 260.
100_0760.jpg

After I T reached 160* wrapped them tightly in foil till I T reached 200*

100_0761.jpg

100_0762.jpg

Off the grill at 200*
100_0763.jpg

This pork just slip off the bone which is the quagmire I'm in. The total time cook was 8.5 hrs
which I guess is good numbers on that part.
100_0766.jpg

On the plate with tater salad and some corn off the cob.

Last edited:

HogSmoker

Now with the quagmire. In the past using old barrel smoker the butts would come out firm and you could slice or chopped the meat before eating which is the way we like it. These two butts I smoked today noway could you slice or chop. it was tender fell off the bone which is most folks would want I guess.
My questions are by me foiling did this create a less firmer butt? Should I not foil and maybe pull it say at 185*-190*

Again the butts were good seemed like just maybe over cooked if that is possible. Had that crock-pot roast texture too it. Hope maybe someone understands what Im trying to achieve and can give me some ideals... thanks H/S

TentHunter

Hope maybe someone understands what Im trying to achieve and can give me some ideals... thanks H/S

Makes perfect sense to me. Occasionally We cook them the way you like too.

First let me say, Wow; that pork shoulder looks perfectly done to me for pulling. Beautiful bark, nice, tender & juicy!

Foiling reduces cook time considerably and it sounds like if you'd never foiled a butt, you weren't prepared for just how much time it cut off and it simply got overcooked for your family's taste.

If time is short or if we want slices, then I cook & pull them around 165°-175° like a ham and give a minimum 30 minutes rest (1 hour is better). That's a good time to foil for this method. That way there's still enough connective tissue to support slicing, yet you can still chop some of it if you like.

HogSmoker

Makes perfect sense to me. Occasionally We cook them the way you like too.

First let me say, Wow; that pork shoulder looks perfectly done to me for pulling. Beautiful bark, nice, tender & juicy!

Foiling reduces cook time considerably and it sounds like if you'd never foiled a butt, you weren't prepared for just how much time it cut off and it simply got overcooked for your family's taste.

If time is short or if we want slices, then I cook & pull them around 165°-175° like a ham and give a minimum 30 minutes rest (1 hour is better). That's a good time to foil for this method. That way there's still enough connective tissue to support slicing, yet you can still chop some of it if you like.

Hey thanks TentHunter. I think like you stated the over cook is they key here. Next time I'll go 165*-175* temp. And I did eat three sandwiches so I guess it wasn't too bad lol.

sparky

i found that when i foil a butt at 160 or so it cooks faster but i lose the nice bark i like and it is a tad mushy. they are moister but i cook mine w/ a pan of water underneath it. i like cooking them w/ out foil until the end.

HogSmoker

Yep mine was that tad mush texture really moist and I did use a water pan from the start. I think Tent hit the nail on the head I just over cooked it for my liking. Going to try next time off at 165 instead of 200.

How long do you foil Sparky after the 160 mark ?

sparky

How long do you foil Sparky after the 160 mark ?

when i was foiling at 160 i would leave the foil on until it reaches 200. now a days though i like to just foil at the end when it hits 195 - 200. better bark. it takes longer to cook but i like the product better.

Top Bottom