MAK-Smoked Italian Sausage and Peppers

roburado

We like the Italian Sausage that our Costco store sells. De Bebe usually cooks them up on the stove. This time, we decided that we'd do it on the MAK.

First, I started smoking some sausage. We figured we'd use some for the sausage and peppers. Some we'd save for other applications like breakfast or whatever.
DSC_0211.jpg

Next, we got sliced an onion, some bell peppers, and garlic. We packed all that in foil with some garlic olive oil and salt. That went on to the MAK to cook with the sausage.
DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

At around 145F or so, I had a look at the sausage. Then, I grilled them up on the grill grates. I turned up the heat to high for that. Here's what I got at the end.
DSC_0215.jpg

De Bebe took a bite out of one...okay, so did I.
DSC_0216.jpg

Some canned, peeled San Marzano Tomatoes got mashed and got some Italian seasoning.
DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

I went ahead and blasted the foil package with the onions, garlic, and peppers on high. After they got nice and caramelized, they and all their juices went into the tomatoes.
DSC_0219.jpg

Apply heat (oh, around 250F) and smoke.
DSC_0220.jpg

roburado

The final product in my bowl.
DSC_0221.jpg

Serve with some fresh mozzarella seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic olive oil.
DSC_0222.jpg

We even got a smoke ring on the sausage.
DSC_0223.jpg

The flavors really stood out well. The distinct sweet flavors of the onions and the peppers didn't get muddled. We were really able to taste both very clearly. The smoking of the sausage added that gorgeous smoky flavor and gave us a nice snap when biting into the sausage. I think we're going to do sausage and peppers like this from now on. Next time, we'll add some fresh basil to the sauce.

Last edited:
Top Bottom