Tri Tip Roast

Carter13

I picked up a Traeger Junior last weekend and have done chicken on it which turned out pretty good. I just installed a digital thermometer and am going to cook a beef loin tri tip roast that I picked up at Costco.
I did a search and could not find what temp you guys are cooking these at and what internal temp it should reach. Also are you just doing a dry rub right before putting it on the grill?
Thanks for any info you can give me.

SmokinMAK

Hi Carter,

Sounds like you made it to the Darkside - Welcome!

You are probably going to hear 2 different schools of though on Tri-tips, a lot depends on how thick it is.

1) Cook it like a steak. There are one or two threads around here promoting the "reverse sear" method for doing tri-tip like you would a thick steak. Cook it at 325 until interl temp is 120 degrees, then on high for sear. See Big Poppa's video on this at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gye7FX4Quc

2) Cook it like a brisket. This way might be for thicker cuts, or just cause you like it like that. Prep it like a brisket and let it go low and slow.

However you decide, be sure to post details and pics for us to see! Happy Smoking.

Last edited:

Carter13

Thanks to both of you for the info.
PB you say 260 to 140, did you mean 260 to 240 and I asssume this is the external temp?
So are you saying you smoke first then finish off for marks at a high temp?
What internal temp are you looking for?
Thanks.

scooter

Thanks to both of you for the info.
PB you say 260 to 140, did you mean 260 to 240 and I asssume this is the external temp?
So are you saying you smoke first then finish off for marks at a high temp?
What internal temp are you looking for?
Thanks.

He meant 140IT. Keep this in mind with beef, the hotter the temp you cook it, the lower the IT you'll need to pull it off at to get that doneness you're looking for. A beef roast is like a freight train, the faster the train goes down the tracks, the longer it will take to come to a stop.
If I cook it at 250ish I pull mine at 150 for a nice med-rare finish only I do a quick sear in the beginning then the slow 250 until it reaches 150IT. The below roast was seared first then slow cooked at 250 until 150IT. BP's is cooked at 260 then at 140IT is seared quickly so he'll get similar results.
SmokinMAK cooks his hotter so he needs to pull it off sooner (120IT) then sear to get the outside appearance and allow for a nice push in temps during the rest period while his train comes to a stop. I think his will come out more rare than my pic below depending on how long he sears it.
IMG_5540.jpg

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
But mine will be worlds better....just kidding Any time i say 320 to 110 the to is internal temp then I will say drop to 260 to 130 for not too long I mean to confuse you! hahahah

Ill be clearer. Thanks Scooter for helping the old geezer out

Trooper

Haven't don a lot of tri-tips. The last project was quite firm & tough.
I'd like to try again but preparing it more like brisket. Low & Slow to 190 IT. Hopefully it will be more tender.
Anyone else do brisket in this fashion?

Carter13

My wife tried to post a couple of pics but could not figure it out. She has posted hundreds of pics on other sites so she is knowledgeable.
I am so stoked because this was the most juicy tasting piece of meat that I have ever had. No need for sauce at all.
I installed a digital thermostat on my Treager JR yesterday and it worked great although it did swing in temps a bit.
I think I may buy a few fireplace bricks to help with this.
If you guys could tell us how to post pics she will do it.
Thanks again to all of you that helped me with my questions.

Big Poppa

Administrator
the best way to post pics is to get a photobucket account its free....you download and save...I download the Flock browser which is cool for things like photobucket (it is a re skinned firefox) and have my fire fox or safari open and have the text in the reply box or start new thread and on the photobucket you will see img code for bullliten boards...double clik and it saves it and drag into the open pelletsmoking window

Top Bottom