Way Out West Pellet Grilled Steaks

muebe

Ok to start off this post I want to apologize to Tim. Leave it to me to read the instructions on the bottle after using the rub for the first time :eek:

It was meant to be mixed as a marinade and I applied it directly as a rub. It was good but not fantastic. Not fair to Tim because I cannot follow directions ::) Ok on to the cook...

I started with two bone-in rib eyes...

IMAG2009.jpg

Then a liberal coating of Way Out West and into the fridge for a couple hours. I was supposed to mix the rub with apple cider vinegar, oil, and water then ziploc bag the steaks and use as a marinade...

IMAG2010.jpg

Now onto making the Balsamic Mushroom and Blu Cheese Topping...

IMAG2015.jpg

Start by browning the mushrooms for a few minutes with some olive oil in a pan. I normally use some seasonings but decided to add some Way Out West to the mushrooms instead. Then after a few minutes add a 1/4 cup of Balsamic Vinegar...

IMAG2016.jpg

Then lower the temp and cover for a 10 minute low simmer...

IMAG2017.jpg

Then remove the top to the pan and increase the heat until the liquid is nearly reduced. Then add blu cheese, kill the heat, and re-cover...

IMAG2022.jpg

Now I pre-heated the Memphis to 500F. A lot of people use grill grates on their pellet grills and well I don't have any. But I do have a Big Easy SRG grill. So I placed that on top of the standard grates with the drip pan installed...

IMAG2018.jpg

muebe

I had that temp in the beginning but after hitting the pellet prime button the grill temp was in the 670F range :eek: It was time to drop on the steaks...

IMAG2020.jpg

After 3 minutes I gave a 45 degree rotation. 3 more minutes and then a flip...

IMAG2021.jpg

Then 3 more minutes on the other side and I was reading 135F IT on the steaks with the Thermapen. Time to pull them off for a few minute rest. Then plated and topped with the mushroom medley...

IMAG2023.jpg
IMAG2024.jpg

Now they actually had pretty good flavor for me using the rub entirely wrong. I imagine it tastes much better when used correctly. The funny thing is that when I was done and scraped the SRG grill of excess rub and when it hit the grates I got a whiff of something that smells similar to something in California you can smoke with a prescription. I thought maybe Sparky had stopped by for a visit :p

sparky

so you don't put the steak rub on just like a regular rub? its a beef marinade? the steak and mushrooms look fantastic.

ACW3

Good looking meal!!! I just happen to have a steak and mushrooms. I'll go get some blue cheese and away we go!!

Art

Top Bottom