Spatchcocked Dijon Chicken

CarterQ

Hadn't done a spatchcock chicken on the pellet cooker in awhile so for last nights dinner we tried this recipe-

Started with this

24bd0a46.jpg

Spatchcocked the bird

4fc505c0.jpg

bc37541b.jpg

Made a wet rub using Olive oil, Dijon mustard, Herbs de Provence, garlic, Tabasco, soy sauce, and white wine

3ebc75c2.jpg

Rubbed the bird and topped off with a little salt and pepper

b79e5f75.jpg

Onto the MAK to smoke for a little while and then finish off at 425

541a4591.jpg

All done

5cda3409.jpg

Let it rest for about 10 minutes

efb24203.jpg

Serve it up with some Yukon gold mashed taters, green beans, and the remaining wine

5a3090f1.jpg

67d5e85c.jpg

This came out great, chicken was nice and moist and the Dijon rub was delicious. A perfect roast chicken with a great touch of smoke flavor.

Pappymn

When you spatchcock, do you take out the chine bone? I always do. Not sure if that helps or hurts results.

ACW3

Man oh man!!! That bird looks great. If there are any leftovers, I'll bet it makes some outrageous chicken salad. It's been quite a while since I spatched a bird. Might have to do that sometime soon.

Art

CarterQ

275 until it hit 130 and 425 to 165. Seemed tender to me. Just trying to get a crisper skin as the kids get the drumsticks and they prefer it on the crispy side. I have done chickens the whole cook at 425 and been very happy with the results.

Last edited:

TentHunter

It looks so good!

How did the skin turn out Carter?

Lately we've been experimenting to try and get the skin better. One thing we've been doing is applying an old duck/goose cooking method and pricking the skin to help the fat render out easier and it really seems to make a difference. The last chicken we did was the best so far.

Top Bottom