Rough day for Trent but a decent day for team Butts, Mak n Que.

TTNuge

Had our second comp this weekend and I was trying to back up that 5th place chicken I got two weeks ago. Well I knew at first taste that I missed my flavor profile, got them a little on the hot side somehow and I knew I was in trouble. What I wasn't expecting is an odd shaped turn it box that made it hell to get 6 thighs in there as well as some harsh scores in Tenderness even though they seemed perfect with perfect bite through skin. Do you other competitions out there feel that if your taste is off that often time your tenderness scores drops a point or two too? Kind of like the judges rate both of them together and if they don't like it they see it as an opportunity to nail ya even more? Long story short, went from a 5th last time to a 40th this time, OUCH! At least I know some of what went wrong.

Pork stayed about the same, I think I was 26th last time and 27th this time. Struggling to find what the judges like and what I'm doing wrong. Very frustrating as I'm not sure what to do about it. Seems like all the scores are just a little low, 8's and 9's for appearance but 7-9 for taste and tenderness with even a 6 thrown in here or there. Really gotta figure this one out as I'm stumped right now.

On the bright side my partner turned things around and really changed up his brisket. He went from 51st or so 2 weeks ago at our last comp to getting a walk with a 5th place finish this week. Was very happy for him as he was quite disappointed after the bad brisket scores last time. Ribs were down a little, mainly due to really crappy ribs with incredibly crooked bones. I think I have him convinced that he needs to buy 6 racks from now on and not try to get by with 3.

Overall our team score went up a bit and we finished 20th overall. We were shooting for a top 15 minimum but we'll take the 20th and be happy for only our second comp considering we've gotten a walk in each one. This comp had 58 teams so it was another big one too.

So if I can figure out pork and then put it all together at one time that sure would be great. We've got 6 weeks to figure it out but then it's the big one, the Sam's Club comp! Would love to pull out a top 10 or better in that one but we got a ways to go.

In the mean time I won't be above begging for pork tips!

Trent

Big Poppa

Administrator
trent it isnt easy...From experience we thought the judges really picked on us our second comp....we look back and laugh at it.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I want to expound on this a little and some of the other comp people may want to chime in.....There is a curse of a rookie.....I can guarantee they will get a high call in one meat their first contest.....sometimes they will do great overall...."I got it this is easy" "See honey all that practice....we cant wait for the next one GC in in the sights"

Jody Brad and Joe went to the biggest comp in california...They had never even cooked a brisket ever.....five drums....tequila irish whisky and a Keg of micro brew.....slopped some sweet baby rays on the ribs and came in second.....easy peasy.

Now you are totally different...you have experience as a cook...have taken a class and cooked in practice a ton....but it still is random and the only thing you can do is to continue too refine the details and timeline and flavor profile....it is the mountain we all climb.

Judging works out in the end...I believe that we have been totally messed with this year...both good and bad. At the end of the season you are usually exactly where you belong.

Enjoy the weekly challenge and journey!

Meat Man

I think it would be hard to tell what changes you need to make after only two comps. We have done four and its still difficult to tell. But we have come away form each comp with a better understanding, and definitely more comfortable. Just keep cooking. Oh BTW we took a 7th overall at our first comp. Then we went out and tried to reinvent BBQ, that didn't go so well. So, we went back to square one. Last time out 4th overall. Keep it simple.

Top Bottom