turkey day

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ah Yes Robin...We will make this the main thread for Thankssgiving.

I believe in smaller birds and more of them...Think about is by the time you get the interior of the breast to the temp you want (I like 165 internal) the outer edges are overdone.

I don tbelieve in using any rub or seasoning with paprika as it burns

I like to smoke them at about 250 in a pan with some liquid.(wine/stock splash of champagne nvinegar) I p[ut chunks of onions carrots celery and apples in the juice

You must rest the bird for at least 20 minutes I love watching people cut a hot out of the smoker of oven and seeing all the juice run out onto the cutting board and hearing people ohh and ahh about how juicy it is....That juice stays in the bird if you let it settle down...hot gravy will warm it up fine

Search the brining recipes as there are some great ones....I dont brine which makes me a communist amongst serious cooks But there is never any meat left on the 5 turkeys I cook each year....

rbaggett

Ok, I put an 11+ pounder on my Max General at 1 pm this afternoon. I spatchcocked it, rubbed in olive oil and sprinkled Hasty-Bake Gourmet Greek Seasoning (plus a little exptra pepper). Cooking at about 260 degrees. This is a test run. I will report back.

ht01us

Ok, I put an 11+ pounder on my Max General at 1 pm this afternoon. I spatchcocked it,[...] I will report back.

Oh my! How do you spatchcock a turkey? I have trouble cutting the backbone out of a chicken with kitchen shears. Are you using a saw, or what?

Big Poppa

Administrator
ht lift weights Robin is an old and I mean old catcher! I have pics of a spatchcock turkey in the gallery...it is great!

ht01us

I have pics of a spatchcock turkey in the gallery...it is great!

Saw the pictures there; it definitely looks good. Are you really just using kitchen shears on it? I guess doing a 12 lb turkey instead of a 20 pounder would make it easier.

rbaggett

Ok, here are the results. Cooking time 3 1/2 hours at 260. Bird was done and not over done. Grade c+. It was very average. I think I had a cheap bird. Safeway? You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit. Bird cost $10 for 11 pounds. Tomorrow I am getting a high quality bird and doing a brine for 24+ hours. I will cook it Wednesday and report back. Thank God, Thanksgiving is still more than a week away.

CarterQ

Just a heads up when shopping for a turkey, Look for the "all natural" or similar varieties, these have not been injected with sodium etc. Be careful if it has been "enhanced" or is self basting. This is especially critical if you are looking for a bird to brine, as you may end up with a salty bird. On the west coast Foster Farms all natural is always a good bet, and Costco carries them. By law it must be stated on the package if it has been injected. You can figure that the bird they give you for free for dropping $50 at the super market register will have already been brined for you.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
You know the funny thing...I had to cook a turkey for some people...they brought it over and it was a butterball...I pulled the little red button out and attempted to cross myself....It was fabulous. I love admitting that I dont know what they put in it but I looked good

CarterQ

Hey the pumped up stuff can be tasty, just be aware to adjust the brine if your going that route. Those turkey timers scare the crap outta me!

Big Poppa

Administrator
I put them under my neighbors kids bike tires. See Im a communist I dont brine. I just consider myself a foodie and admitting liking a butterball is like having a box of french pastry and sneaking twinkies

Deb

I think I need to do a test bird this weekend to get my timing. I haven't decided whether to brine or not. My t-day bird will not be injected since it will be from a local farm. I got one last year and it was the best thanksgiving turkey I have done and it wasn't even cooked on a pellet grill - I can't wait until this year!

CarterQ

When doing the turkey at lower temps (250ish) how does the skin come out? See alot of complaints about skin no matter what temp on the pellet cookers. Personally I can do without the skin but there are always those guests that are used to the bone dry turkey with the crispy skin..........

TentHunter

Just a heads up when shopping for a turkey, Look for the "all natural" or similar varieties, these have not been injected with sodium etc... ...By law it must be stated on the package if it has been injected...

THANK YOU CarterQ!!! Great info!

I always look for a chicken or turkey labled "Fresh" or "Minimally Processed" By law if its fresh it cannot have been injected with anything.

SisInLaw

I put them under my neighbors kids bike tires. See Im a communist I dont brine. I just consider myself a foodie and admitting liking a butterball is like having a box of french pastry and sneaking twinkies

See Poppa I agree with you about the brining. Not the biggest fan. Also, I've had some good Butterballs in my day. So! Call me a Marxist.

Meh, I'll kill you.

This year I'll be cooking on turkey day for my kids but it'll be oven roasted. Any new rubs to recommend?

Top Bottom