Molasses slathered butts

muebe

Started with two Costco boneless butts...

IMAG2045.jpg

They are usually pretty even in size and weight. The one on the left is significantly larger...

IMAG2046.jpg

Molasses, Jan's Rub, and Fine Swine & Bovine Rub...

IMAG2044.jpg

Both butts slathered with molasses. First one coated with Jan's rub...

IMAG2047.jpg

The second one coated with Fine Swine & Bovine Rub...

IMAG2048.jpg

Memphis setpoint at 225F and the hopper topped off with Pecan pellets...

IMAG2053.jpg

And in they go at 9:30pm for the overnight run...

IMAG2049.jpg

muebe

I wake up at 5am. No Maverick alarms throught the night. I slept like a baby ;) opened up to peep these beauties...

IMAG2052.jpg

The smaller one on the left had the Memphis meat probe reading a IT of 172F and was already through the stall...

IMAG2050.jpg

The much larger one was at a IT of 151F and still in the stall...

IMAG2051.jpg

To be continued ;)

ACW3

I just cooked two butts on my MAK this past Sunday. I used CT with Jan's rub on both. They came out real tasty.

Art

muebe

At 10:45am the small butt just hit 195F IT so I pulled it and put it into FTC...

IMAG2056.jpg
IMAG2057.jpg

The larger one is currently at 170 IT so I bumped up the setpoint to 245F to help move things along ;)

IMAG2054.jpg

muebe

Whoa, beautiful color on that one Muebe. :cool:

Did you sneak a little taste yet? C'mon fess up... How'd it taste?

Although I was very tempted I am gonna wait until I pull em' ;)

I really do like the color the molasses made on it. I usually do a mustard slather or just straight rub. First time using molasses. Squirt has done it quite a few times so I figured I would try and see how it tastes.

muebe

The big one is currently at a IT of 189F. I am gonna pull it at 195F. These Costco butts sure have been stubborn lately. Although these were not evenly sized by no means ;)

I took the small one out of FTC. It was still steaming hot :eek:

I used my bear claws. Butt pulled very easily...

IMAG2059.jpg
IMAG2058.jpg
IMAG2060.jpg
IMAG2061.jpg

Now I normally do a mustard slather or just straight rub. You can never taste the mustard IMHO when the butt is finished. But you can taste the molasses in the bark and boy is it good. The Fine Swine & Bovine is most excellent on the butt ;)

Now just waiting for the other butt to finish...

sparky

that looks real good muebe. nice smoke ring. love the bark. sammies buddy. thats whats for dinner. :)

muebe

The large one finally reached 195F IT at 2:30pm :eek:

IMAG2062.jpg

On the tray ready to be foil wrapped for FTC. The frogmats make for easy removal. Don't you just love them ;)

IMAG2065.jpg

I did a visual inspection of the Memphis grease tray after finishing both butts. Appears to have done it's job well. No scorching in the pan from heat. It was warm to the touch but not super hot. Good to know since it is located inside the cooker :)

Total amount of grease from about 15lbs of butts is 1 cup...

IMAG2066.jpg

Now here are some stats:

I started both butts at 9:30pm last night at setpoint of 225F using Bear Mountain Pecan Pellets.

At 10:45am the small one hit 195F IT(13 hours and 15 minutes)

I then bumped the setpoint up to 245F

The larger one reached 195F IT at 2:30pm(17 hours)

I used around 9lbs of pellets for the whole cook smoke.

That comes out to 0.52lbs of pellets per hour average. That is much better than my Traeger did.

It was also cooler last night temps in the high 40s and low 50s. Today has been high 60s. We have also had very high winds so that may have increased pellet consumption some.

This was my first long smoke with my Memphis and I have to say it performed very well! The temps were very stable even in the high wind gusts. The smoke flavor on the butts is very good. They have a good smoke flavor.

When I finished I cranked her up to a setpoint of 500F and let her rip for about 10 minutes. Lots of smoke from all the drippings burning off. Thought maybe a neighbor Might call the fire department :eek:

And here is the grill after the 10 minute burn-off at 500F...

IMAG2067.jpg

After a little finish on the tray and grates by the dogs I will be ready to grill some steaks later!

Now I did sneak a piece from the Jan's rub butt. Just a hunk of bark. Had real good flavor and the molasses came through. Between the two rubs I would have to say that the Fine Swine & Bovine had a slightly better taste. They are both really good though. The molasses slather is a definite keeper though. Thanks for the idea Squirt :)

Top Bottom