Bacon Wrapped Brisket Fillets & Crab Legs

TentHunter

This weekend was our 18th wedding anniversary and after 18 years of pure marital bliss with me (cough, cough), I figured I better fix her a good dinner!

I have more pics of the cook and more info on how I did the brisket, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

I started on Saturday by smoking a brisket flat (alongside a pork butt) on my offset smoker for three hours, then foiling it with some braising liquid for about three more hours until a candy thermometer slid in easily. Then it went into the fridge overnight.
CPPAD.JPG

Then Sunday I wrapped the brisket in a bacon weave and put it on the Weber kettle with some oiled & salted Russet potatoes for about 1 1/2 hours.
AD106.JPG

The menu included: Bacon Wrapped Brisket Fillets, Steamed Crab Legs, Baked Potatoes, some of my Sweet & Heat style armadillo eggs and an Avocado & tomato salad with a lime vinaigrette.
AD309.JPG

Here it is plated. Note: the Armadillo eggs are made from both jalapenos & some mini sweet peppers.
AD310.JPG

Thanks for looking!

TentHunter

Thanks Jim, BP, Squirt & Jeanie!

OK, I debated about whether to post this or not, but wanted to share the technique I used for the Brisket flat to keep it moist. First I followed Andy's suggestion about trimming off most of the fat for more bark surface area. However, I was more than a little concerned about how to keep it moist so I thought I'd try something a little radical.

We all know that fat keeps meat moist & flavorful, so I thought, "Why not inject it with some of its own fat?"

After trimming the fat off I put the chucks into a pan with some water to make a fatty broth. I strained it and seasoned it with a bit of sea salt and some garlic powder, then let it cool to room temp.
AD100.JPG

After it cooled to room temp I transferred it to a mixing bowl and whisked the fat & broth together to a frosting-like consistency. I pulled the plunger from the injector & filled it with this mix and injected it into the brisket flat. You could see it plump up and some fat oozed out of some areas.

Let me tell you it was a messy process, but it worked better than I could have ever hoped. This was by far the most moist and tender sliced brisket flat I've ever had. I made an au jus but it was not needed at all.

TentHunter

I know one thing, it sure seemed to work for me. It added a little prep time waiting for the mixture to cool, but was well worth it.

I am glad I followed Andy's advice. Its changed my mind about trimming fat and injecting, at least on brisket.

Last edited:
Top Bottom