T.g.i.t.w.b.t.m.c contest contest contest

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK Thank God it's the weekend because that means contest.....Tricky eh?

You kno w the drill get off your rumbs and smoke some fabulous food and pick my pocket while you are at it!

First Place $25.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Every body else that is left....$5 bucks store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Here is this weeks twist 20 entries doubles it...Ill try it again....

Tatonka3A2

Friday Night Tri Tips!

Finally found some Tri-Tips - been looking for some time.

Made a marinade out of the Tatonka Dust and back into the fridge for a few hours. Here they are ready to go on ... the toothpick is marking the difference in the marinade experiment.

Fired the Yoder up to 150° with Oak pellets and added our new toy filled with Oak as well. This is the new 12" AMPTS from Todd. LOVE IT!! Let it smoke for about 90 mins.

Had to get some veggies in and of course some shrimp!!

Turned the heat up to 550° to get some nice searing on the Tri Tips

Cooked a few mins on each side and then pulled them and let them rest for 15 mins. Still had juices all over the cutting board!

Yum!!

Have room for a few more pics....

squirtthecat

South Texas Reubens

Found a corned beef eye of round in the freezer. From St Paddy's day - 2011. :eek:

IMGP9962.JPG

Trim (didn't rinse, gonna use the corning liquids for 'glue'), and rub-a-dub with some Garlic Salt Lick.

IMGP9969.JPG

Adding some moisture.

IMGP9972.JPG

IMGP9974.JPG

Cruising at around 235°. I'll stab it before we go to church and see if it can just rest foiled in the crock pot.

Gonna be a hot/humid one today. Even the Alpha Sentry isn't all that interested.

IMGP9966.JPG

Note to self. Pick up rye bread, Swiss cheese and some good kraut..

We'll check back in a bit.

--

Went back for a peek..

IMGP9978.JPG

Time to probe it. Close enough. I'll have you know I had to up my shutter speed to catch that Thermapen live shot.. ;)

IMGP9982.JPG

Love that color..

IMGP9984.JPG

squirtthecat

South Texas Reubens cont.

All wrapped up and into the crock pot 'oven' on low for a few more hours. I added a 1/4 cup of water in there to keep the moisture level up.

IMGP9988.JPG

Fast forward to dinner time.

Sliced.. (piled back into the crock pot to keep warm)

IMGP0001.JPG

And plated up. Jewish Rye bread, a bit of 1000 Island dressing, 'Driftwood Pastrami' piled up, some Franks Quality Kraut out of Ohio, and a couple pieces of Swiss cheese. Sided with some Talk Of Texas okra pickles..

IMGP9997.JPG

Yum!

roburado

First Ribs on 590

So, I've never done ribs before. I went to one of our rib experts, Sparky, and had him clarify for me his process. For some reason, I just had to have ribs this week. So, that's what we did today.

First, the rubbin' stuff.
IMG_2862.jpg

Used Yardbird on one rack. The other rack I used Little Louie's, but I added some fresh cracked pepper. I wanted a finer grind to the pepper, but I was too lazy to fix the grinder. So, I just used some Ancho.

A little yellow French's glue and the above rubs.
IMG_2860.jpg

On to the grill they went at 275F for two hours. Then, it was FL time. In the FL, I had Filipino Banana Sauce (kind of like a ketchup), some Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, and some butter.
IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

After FL time was over, after using the FL liquid to baste the ribs.
DSC_0174.jpg

Finished product. You can see we had some grilled asparagus too.
DSC_0176.jpg

Served with a spinach salad with roasted pecans, gorgonzola, red onion, dressed with Persian Lime olive oil and lemon white balsamic vinegar. Made by De Bebe.
DSC_0177.jpg

Steamed artichoke with Piment D'Esplette mayonnaise. Also made by De Bebe.
DSC_0178.jpg

Tasty beverage to wash it all down.
DSC_0179.jpg

Thanks, Sparky! We really enjoyed that dinner!

Last edited:

Kite

Okay, I am new (which you will figure out by my question). I just don't understand the whole *contest* thing. I see contests over and over but can't figure out how one wins. The only thing I can guess is that everyone is a winner because they all get a fantastic meal. Is is just all about pictures and great food? I really hate to be so clueless, but I guess I have to embrace who and where I am.

Tilapia with Tomato and Basil

My wife wanted Tilapia and I wanted to use my MAK. Tried something a little different for me. First, put some green beans in a pan with butter, garlic and Desert Gold and put on the MAK.

Untitled.jpg

While that was heating up, prepped the fish. In a baking dish, put some olive oil and then the Tilapia. Seasoned it with Desert Gold, fresh chopped basil, and fresh chopped oregano. Topped with tomato slices and seasoned again with olive oil and Desert Gold.

IMG_4064.jpg

Halved some small tomatoes and added to the green beans:

IMG_4066.jpg

After a few minutes, added some water and juice from a lemon to the pan of green beans, and then foiled. Put the Talapia on the MAK at the same time:

IMG_4067.jpg

Fish is done:

IMG_4068.jpg

All plated up:

IMG_4069.jpg

This came out really good. I wil try again. Thanks for looking.

Kite

Big Poppa

Administrator
Okay, I am new (which you will figure out by my question). I just don't understand the whole *contest* thing. I see contests over and over but can't figure out how one wins. The only thing I can guess is that everyone is a winner because they all get a fantastic meal. Is is just all about pictures and great food? I really hate to be so clueless, but I guess I have to embrace who and where I am.

The opening post of each weeks thread gives the details of the prizes...this week there is a bonus if we get 20...sometimes if you are lefthanded...heheh It is whatever mood Im in on early Friday morning when I post.

Swineisdevine

Lamb rack of ribs

Started with a rack of lamb and trimmed some of the fat cap away.
IMGP0248.jpg

Added some Money and after this replaced the fat trimmings on top.
IMGP0249.jpg

Ingredients for a raspberry chipotle sauce for the lamb.
IMGP0254.jpg

Some pictures of the final plate. The lamb turned out nicely, served with rice cooked with Desert Gold and sprinkled with a little bit of the adobo sauce from the chipotles, green beans with a sprinkle of Desert gold over the top.

IMGP0260.jpg

IMGP0261.jpg

IMGP0265.jpg

IMGP0266.jpg

sparky

din din time w/ Hazel

i love Hazel. i believe her and #336 are going to make a great couple.

ribs011.jpg

got some annies, swine & bovine rub and some tatonka dust. yes i am dreaming about football.

ribs028.jpg

pretty tri tip

ribs030.jpg

for the 1st time in my life i wrapped the tri and put in frig overnight. i seen muebe do this all the time. he's pretty good cook. thought i would try it.

ribs032.jpg

everyone in the pool. i'm using oak pellets in my cast iron pot.

tris004.jpg

rotate.

tris010.jpg

oh ya, were done.

tris015.jpg

do you see the smile on my face.

tris021.jpg

if you don't eat you meat you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.

tris023.jpg

the end.

Chili Head

Roasted chicken with grilled veggies and quinoa stuffed tomatoes.

I started out by seasoning the inside of the bird with this.
46e1a350-f2aa-bef8.jpg

I chopped the garlic shoots and stuffed them inside after seasoning.
46e1a350-f2ed-2d7a.jpg

Next I peeled the Skin back to get the seasoning under the skin and I re covered the bird to help keep it moist.

46e1a350-f403-dd12.jpg

46e1a350-f41f-ccd5.jpg

Ok let's get the bird cooking using BBQ delight apple at 275.
46e1a350-f500-14be.jpg

Next on the to do list is the quinoa and vegetables. I used some carrot,onion,beef stock and zucchini.
46e1a350-f5de-f48d.jpg

The veggies were chopped and sautéed first then I added 2 cups of water with the beef stock and 1 cup of quinoa.
46e1a350-f80a-acfa.jpg

46e1a350-f6b5-ac3d.jpg

46e1a350-f7ad-53a7.jpg

Cooked it down for 20 minutes or so.
46e1a350-f84f-27db.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

I made a bread pudding for dessert with some peaches fresh from the farmers market and some mango macadamia bread.
46e1a350-f987-3d28.jpg

Ok the chicken is done and resting as the bread pudding, roasted stuffed tomatoes and grilled asparagus, zucchini and garlic shoots go on the MAK.

I missed the picture of the cored tomatoes with the quinoa.

46e1a350-fb61-8bd3.jpg

46e1a350-fada-02a2.jpg

46e1a350-fa3b-e1c4.jpg

Alright now everything is done..the chicken has the skin removed and the veggies are ready.

46e1a350-fcb1-7de0.jpg

46e1a350-fcc4-ac26.jpg

Let's plate it up.
Sliced chicken breast, quinoa stuffed tomato and grilled veggies.

46e1a350-fdb8-d48c.jpg

Delicious! Eating healthy ain't so bad! The chicken was super moist and one of the best I've done so far. I love grilled veggies of all kinds and it's my favorite way to prepare them.

Ok dessert time..

Mango,peach,macadamia bread pudding.

46e1a350-001a-06ae.jpg

A scoop of ice cream,raspberries and a light dusting of cinnamon..happy happy happy!

46e1a350-0058-f7bb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

FLBentRider

Nine Racks of Baby Backs

DSC_2338.jpg

while trimming, I have friends in "low places"
DSC_2339.jpg

Rubbed with LLGSWP
DSC_2340.jpg

On the MAK 2 Star
DSC_2342.jpg

A couple of hours later
DSC_2343.jpg

Ready for some Foil love with White wine.
DSC_2345.jpg

After the foil time, I poured off the liquid contents of the foil, and ran it through a fat separator.

Packed up the liquid and put the ribs (still in foil) in a cooler for the ride across town to my Moms.

Hobbit

Sunday Steaks
After the kind of week it has been with a broken water main:
DSCN1798.jpg

It was time for a Sunday Steak dinner, so we let some NY steaks and some salsa corn soak up some smokey goodness
DSCN1808.jpg

Then a rest and a quick ride at 400 degrees for the steaks, salsa corn and some havarti quesadillas.
DSCN1809.jpg

Finally everything all plated up and finished with a double hopped IPA home-brew

DSCN1814.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Susan

Justa Burger

I wasn’t going to cook tonight as there are some pretty good leftovers in the fridge but Deb gave me some beef she ground up and I had to switch gears and cook a burger on the Weber. I made a couple of burgers and hit them with some Double Secret.
06-10-2012cook002.jpg

Then on to the Weber with hand full of oak pellets.
06-10-2012cook004.jpg

Off the grill.
06-10-2012cook007.jpg

06-10-2012cook009.jpg

Served up with a plate full of salad.
06-10-2012cook005.jpg

A simple dinner but the best burger I’ve had in a long time! Thank you Deb! Thanks for looking.

Top Bottom