South Texas Reubens

squirtthecat

Found a corned beef eye of round in the freezer. From St Paddy's day - 2011. :eek:

IMGP9962.JPG

Trim (didn't rinse, gonna use the corning liquids for 'glue'), and rub-a-dub with some Garlic Salt Lick.

IMGP9969.JPG

Adding some moisture.

IMGP9972.JPG

IMGP9974.JPG

Cruising at around 235°. I'll stab it before we go to church and see if it can just rest foiled in the crock pot.

Gonna be a hot/humid one today. Even the Alpha Sentry isn't all that interested.

IMGP9966.JPG

Note to self. Pick up rye bread, Swiss cheese and some good kraut..

We'll check back in a bit.

--

Went back for a peek..

IMGP9978.JPG

Time to probe it. Close enough. I'll have you know I had to up my shutter speed to catch that Thermapen live shot.. ;)

IMGP9982.JPG

Love that color..

IMGP9984.JPG

squirtthecat

All wrapped up and into the crock pot 'oven' on low for a few more hours. I added a 1/4 cup of water in there to keep the moisture level up.

IMGP9988.JPG

Fast forward to dinner time.

Sliced.. (piled back into the crock pot to keep warm)

IMGP0001.JPG

And plated up. Jewish Rye bread, a bit of 1000 Island dressing, 'Driftwood Pastrami' piled up, some Franks Quality Kraut out of Ohio, and a couple pieces of Swiss cheese. Sided with some Talk Of Texas okra pickles..

IMGP9997.JPG

Yum!

TentHunter

I think this is one of the best pastrami's I've seen. I like the nice big slices you get from using a section of corned round instead of the typical brisket.

This is the second time I've seen either a section of round or sirloin tip (which comes from the round) used for making Pastrami.

I'm giving this cut of beef a try with my next Pastrami.

squirtthecat

I only see these in the store around St Paddy's day, and I'm kicking myself for not buying more this last time. It's nice and lean, so you don't lose as much to shrinkage as you do with the flat/point cuts.

And I can't call it 'pastrami', or MrsSTC won't eat it. I think she's got something against coriander... ;)

"Smoked garlic peppered corned beef" it is.

There is still a bit in the fridge... I'm thinking some MAK'd corned beef hash for dinner!

Top Bottom