Pepper Stout Pulled Beef

muebe

I learned about this recipe from Smokeasaurus(Char-broil forum) who got it here... The Wolfe Pit: Pepper Stout Beef

So here goes.

Here are the ingredients. Chuck Roast, Bell Pepper, Purple onion, 6 Jalapenos, Worcestershire Sauce, Guinness Stout and garlic...

IMAG1848.jpg

I started with a 2.7lb Chuck Pot Roast...

IMAG1844.jpg

Then both sides were liberally coated with Hickory smoked coarse salt and ground black pepper...

IMAG1845.jpg

Then wrapped tightly in saran wrap for a overnight rest in the fridge...

IMAG1846.jpg

The next day I loaded the Junior hopper with maple pellets and set the PID to 240F grate level temps...

IMAG1847.jpg

Removed the saran wrap from the chuckie and let her get to room temp while the Junior pre-heated...

IMAG1849.jpg

Then onto the Junior...

IMAG1850.jpg

I put the chuckie in at 9:30am and pulled it at 1:00pm when it reached a IT of 160F...

IMAG1853.jpg

The onions, bell peppers, jalepenos, garlic, stout, and Worcestershire all in the tray ready for the chuckie...

IMAG1851.jpg
IMAG1852.jpg

muebe

Now to place the chuckie right on top of all that goodness...

IMAG1854.jpg

Then tightly cover with foil...

IMAG1855.jpg

Now I bumped the PID up to 350F...

IMAG1857.jpg

Back onto the Junior...

IMAG1856.jpg

After 2 more hours I remove the tray from the Junior...

IMAG1858.jpg

Then started to pull it. It should shred fairly easily...

IMAG1859.jpg
IMAG1860.jpg
IMAG1861.jpg

After pulling it is back onto the Junior uncovered at 350F for another 45 minutes to reduce the liquid...

IMAG1862.jpg

sparky

no kidding. my wife is asking why i'm drooling. come over here and look at this great sandwich. man or man. that is fantastic. how did it taste? come on. did your wife eat it w/ the jalapenos? mine probably not. it looks real, real good. :)

eddie

Thanks!!! I was wondering how to combine my veggies this afternoon. Looks like I have the same assortment...No Guinness, have to settle for domestic....Ed

TentHunter

Oh YEAH!!!!! Load up a couple slices of that bread with plenty of the beef mix and lots of juices then eat it open face with a fork... SLURP!!!

Pappymn

Muebe, need some advice. My chuck did not shred very easy, it chunked. When I pulled it the IT was about 208. Any thoughts?

muebe

Muebe, need some advice. My chuck did not shred very easy, it chunked. When I pulled it the IT was about 208. Any thoughts?

Well give me some details of your cook. Size of the chuck and a breakdown of what you did. I never checked the IT of my chuck when it was done I just know it was tender and pulled real well.

Pappymn

I did two three pond chucks. Followed your instructions pretty close. Smoked two hours. Bumped temp to 250 until 160 degrees. Was at 250 for 2 1/2 hours. Covered in foil and bumped to 350 for 2 more hours.
It was tender, but it just didn't break own the connective tissue between the chunks that make up the chuck roast.

muebe

I did two three pond chucks. Followed your instructions pretty close. Smoked two hours. Bumped temp to 250 until 160 degrees. Was at 250 for 2 1/2 hours. Covered in foil and bumped to 350 for 2 more hours.
It was tender, but it just didn't break own the connective tissue between the chunks that make up the chuck roast.

Pappy sounds like you did right. They sound like they might have needed a little more time. Next time give them a fork test before removing. If still a little tough then give more time. Sometimes chuckies can be stubborn.

Top Bottom