Money/Balsamic glaze tri tip

Decided to try a Money/Balsamic glaze tri tip. Did a little different than the normal BP method that I usually use. First, started with some BD Wine Soaked Oak pellets:

IMG_4072.jpg

Grabbed a couple of Choice tri tips from Costco:

IMG_4074.jpg

Rubbed with Balsamic Glaze from BPS and some Money Rub:

Untitled-1.jpg

On the MAK and probed up. Smoked for an hour (I never do this). Then raised to 275°F. Flipped at 115°F:

IMG_4078.jpg

Started on the salad. The ingrediants:

IMG_4079.jpg

Cut up and seasoned with Italian dressing:

IMG_4083.jpg

Tri tip about done. Pulled at 143-145°F:

IMG_4084.jpg

Rested for 20 minutes or so:

IMG_4086.jpg

Sliced and ready to plate:

IMG_4088.jpg

All plated up:

IMG_4091.jpg

My family loves Money on tri tip (and just about anything else!).

Thanks for looking!

Pappymn

Was the temp right? With carryover cooking I would pull earlier for medium rare. Just taking BP suggestion to try and add something to the learning.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I believe that tri tip is more tender if it is a little higher internal temp it can be very chewy rare but a good solid medium is perfect between taste and tenderness

Chili Head

Awesome! I find myself looking for tri tip more than any other beef now.

Curious why you had two probes in the one on the right.

Thanks for all of the comments. A couple of answers to questions you had:

Pappymn: My first cook on #500 was a trip tip that I over cooked. I reverse seared it. Here is the link:

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/first-cook-mak-2-star-2184/

If you read the thread, BP made the following comments:

"OK here is my tri tip method.....I believe that it should be served at 145...which is higher than other meats that I prepare.
I also do not smoke them at 225....I usually go between 250-275 depending on time.
I flip them at 110.
Now depending on how much sear you want you can do many things....First off try it one without the sear. You are getting true smoked meat and the char fro the sear dows not disquise the smoke flavor....

As a former 25 year resident of San Luis Obispo I know how we got programmed to see the sear....so

If you use the warming box pull it from the smoker at 135-138...if not you can pull it at 140 as you did and let it sit....be patieint with the MAK as you get to anything over 400...then sear for two minutes turn o180 sear fro 2 minutes flip and repeat. Rest after pulling the tri tip for about 5-10 minutes if you can stand it. "

I usually follow his method and they always come out great. This time I decided to smoke the first hour because I was using Wine Soaked Oak pellets and wanted to see if I could notice the difference. I believe I could. Also, I agree with BP 100% when he says you want tri tip cooked a bit more than other meats for the perfect balance between taste and tenderness. The pictures don't do it justice, it was much more red than the picture!

Chili: The second probe is from my Maverick. I don't have a remote pellet boss yet, so I put the second probe in to compare the MAK and the Maverick, but more importantly, to monitor the IT from anywhere in the house or yard that I may be. I can play my guitar, watch TV, etc. and still see what the Tri Tip IT is. So call it lazyness!

By the way, Money and balsamic glaze are the bomb for Tri Tip. My family loves it and want me to keep cooking it. They loved it sliced the next day for sandwiches too! You have to try it!

Pappymn

Nor Cal, thanks for all the info on tri tips. Nothing gets me the wrath of my wife easier then over cooking beef. Think I will try the BP method for fathers day.

Wing Commander

Although I like most pieces of beef rare, I agree with you that tri tip goes fine with higher internal temperatures. Looks very tasty!

Top Bottom