Any of you getting the itch

Big Poppa

Administrator
to compete?

I knopw that we have a few here that do....It is a blast...tons of work but there is no sport I know where you can go head to head with the best right out of the box

TentHunter

I am. I'd really like to try my hand at it. A good friend who goes to some comps says he thinks I'd enjoy it. I've been looking into comps in my area and there are starting to be more in the Ohio area.

CarterQ

I have some buddies that keep trying to get me to give it a shot. It looks like fun, but time always seems to be at a premium at this stage of the game.

scooter

I have been doing more than thinking, I've been practicing. I have been asking CBJ buddies of mine what they look for in taste, tenderness and appearance. Compiling a little profile in my head of what they are looking for.
Some weeks ago I did some practice boxes with chicken and brisket. I gave myself 30 mins to put the boxes together which is about the amount of time I'd have to do it in a comp
These are also my first attempt at box building and like I said, 30 mins from start to finish. Next time I'll wear my glasses as I didn't see some things on the meat becuase I wasn't wearing them. Several small appearance type mistakes made but will not make them again.

IMG_6485.jpg

IMG_6471.jpg

Looked like a jewel in the box :)
IMG_6456.jpg

Trooper

Beautiful job from an appearance standpoint, Scooter!

I'm KCBS CBJ/CTC

Wish I could do taste/tenderness

Troop

KimG SOW

Scooter - Why did you put parsley over the meat in the back?

For anyone that is thinking about competing I would suggest that you go to a competition first and visit with some teams. Ask questions and see how it is run. Then when you decide you want to compete, do a practice run at home. Make a list of everything you use. Then repeat. Cut out what you really don't need. Believe me! You don't want to have pack it up and move it if you don't have to.

Matt Dalton

to compete?

I knopw that we have a few here that do....It is a blast...tons of work but there is no sport I know where you can go head to head with the best right out of the box
BP you hit the nail on the head with that one!..and on top of that almost everyone we have met have been some of the nicest people on earth..including the whole BPS crew!

HoDeDo

BP you hit the nail on the head with that one!..and on top of that almost everyone we have met have been some of the nicest people on earth..including the whole BPS crew!

He did hit the nail on the head. But you did too, the people are great. That's why we do it.

And BP, I am ready... its been almost two weeks LOL, And the Thanksgiving weekend comp in St. Louis is full!

scooter

Thanks Trooper.

Kim, the parley in the back is covering a row of burnt ends used for supporting the first slice.

HoDeDo

Thanks Trooper.

Kim, the parley in the back is covering a row of burnt ends used for supporting the first slice.

One question/ thing to ponder...
#1. Are the burnt ends holding up the slices as good as the ones in the front?
If they are, dont bury them! Show em off back there... let the parsley hold up the slices, and have them standing on thier own at the back.
If they aren't... dont put them in the box, even as slice stands... most judges will feel that they need to try everything in thebox... if you put it in there. so, they will likely try that back row too... if they aren't spot on, dont put them in the box; use parsley.

BTW, all that meat looks wonderful!!! great looking product.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Wow what a great thread. Scooter we make our boxes the night before and tweak them at turn in time

You cannot get better constructive criticism that what Andy and Kim are giving...Its not often we can learn from the current Jack Daniels Pork Butt Champion.

Andy? Itchin to cook? hmmmmmm I may have an idea.....

HoDeDo

I figured I would get to sneak into St. Louis after Turkey day.... but they filled the field already. Darnit!
You are full of ideas Sterling :) lol

Big Poppa

Administrator
Andy Is cooking with us for our last cook in Scottsdale! So is Todd Johns AKA Plowboy. Joe on our team is missing the comp because his wife is having their first child....what a lame excuse to miss a comp! Really happy for Joe and Wendy.

I told Joe it was hard finding someone to fill his shoes but I may have succeeded.

Anybody around Scottsdale come drop by on Friday night and dinner is one me Just give me a heads up

scooter

One question/ thing to ponder...
#1. Are the burnt ends holding up the slices as good as the ones in the front?
If they are, dont bury them! Show em off back there... let the parsley hold up the slices, and have them standing on thier own at the back.
If they aren't... dont put them in the box, even as slice stands... most judges will feel that they need to try everything in thebox... if you put it in there. so, they will likely try that back row too... if they aren't spot on, dont put them in the box; use parsley.

BTW, all that meat looks wonderful!!! great looking product.

Hi Andy thank you! Yes they were the same as the BE's along the side only cut smaller. Figured for symetry sake I only wanted one size BE and one size slice. I think I'll not be putting the BE's along the sides next time so I don't have to cut/trim the slices so small to allow for the BE's to fit in. Don't want the judges thinkin I'm giving them smaller slices! :)
I appreciate the advice very much.

HoDeDo

Andy Is cooking with us for our last cook in Scottsdale! So is Todd Johns AKA Plowboy. Joe on our team is missing the comp because his wife is having their first child....what a lame excuse to miss a comp! Really happy for Joe and Wendy.

I told Joe it was hard finding someone to fill his shoes but I may have succeeded.

Anybody around Scottsdale come drop by on Friday night and dinner is one me Just give me a heads up

Just when I thought my season was over... for the second time :) Can't wait to hit the ground in AZ.

I feel for Joe... When we had our daughter, A good friend of mine was having me do an onsite cook for his company's Christmas party, and he send Kim a big baby package, and told her she couldn't have Kaylin, until AFTER I'd fed everyone LOL -- it was just too inconvenient.

I will actually be out cooking on her birthday! - Luckily her birthday party is not until the following weekend, so I am not in too much trouble. She'll be 10 on 12/4... and is quite the little cook herself. :)

Candy Sue

What a fun thread! Yes, even with only one weekend off since the last one, I'm ready to go out and do it again. But -- I know I need to do a bunch of practicing on the KCBS side and I'm going to make a point of supporting the Arkansas IBCA events next year. Scooter both boxes were 9s in my eyes.

BPS is importing 2 of the best for Scottsdale. Good luck to you all!

Texana

Headed out to do a cook off this weekend. I have been off for 3 weeks and I am itchin' to get out there and cook ....

Top Bottom