Fathers Day Contest! Whoop Whoop It pays double

Big Poppa

Administrator
Us fathers deserve it!

Bring out the big guns and lets show this internet world that we are the bomb when it comes to pellet smoking!

First Place $50.00 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $25.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $15.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Bonus Fourth place $10.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$7.50 TO all entries this week....rob me blind make me drool make me write bad checks!

PaulyT

Damn, I shoulda waited a week with my bacon explosion... Can I enter retroactively? :p j/k - but I'll try to come up with something just for the $7.50 discount. :D

RickB

Have'nt taken the cover off the mak in 2 weeks. Been feeling a little puny. But I cant resist getting in Sterlings pockets. It's on this weekend ! Good luck all.

SmokinSaluki

I decided to try something different and picked up a 9lb strip loin at Sams.
A little olive oil for glue and a mix of HB greek seasoning and BP double secret:
P1000455.jpg

I started the roast on the YS640 at 235 degrees. Temps were rising much faster than anticipated so I lowered it to 200 after about an hour so it would not be done 2 hrs before the wife got home. I should have lowered it to 180 because it was still getting too close to done too early so I pulled it at 110 degrees IT and FTC to maintain temp while I killed some time:
P1000456.jpg

The dog found something to kill time too:
P1000458.jpg

I waited about an hour and put the roast back on the smoker at 235 degrees and added some asparagus and zucchini with garlic olive oil and desert gold to suck up some smoke:
P1000459.jpg

While the roast was getting closer to 130 IT and the veggies were getting a kiss of smoke, I fired up the Weber to get a quick sear (I didn't want to wait for the Yoder to get to a searing temp since I struggled with timing already). I pulled the roast at 120 IT and seared on the weber until 130 IT:
P1000460.jpg

FTC the roast at 130 IT and moved the veggies to the weber to finish quickly and get some color on them. I made a mistake of cutting the zucchini too thin and they did not stay "crisp". Lesson learned!

Removed the roast after 15 minutes of FTC:
P1000461.jpg

Plated with zucchini that picked up too much grill grate "seasoning" :), asparagus, and some simple mac and cheese topped off with a nice Shiner Bock
P1000462.jpg

The meat turned out great considering I had to delay it in the middle of the cook. The asparagus was good and the hint of smoke from the short term low heat was noticeable. I will do better on the zucchini next time! We need some rain so the dog has green grass to kill time in.

Pappymn

Can't say I see that cut of beef in Minnesota. Always amazes me the variations in meat cuts based on geography. Really outstanding looking plate.

FLBentRider

Just some chicken at the Beach

Start with Location, Location, Location.
This is the view from in front of the Motorhome this weekend.
2012-06-16_19-25-28_827.jpg

Can you find the pellets in the picture?
IMGP6620.jpg

Start with some chicken - breasts and Thighs - add some Head Country.
IMGP6621.jpg

On the the Weber Q-120 with some pellets
IMGP6622.jpg

Turn
IMGP6623.jpg

Done
IMGP6624.jpg

Plated with a Salad and a blender drink.
2012-06-16_18-48-52_357.jpg

squirtthecat

P/C Brats and Black Iron Billy Browns

Just a quickie Saturday night (boiling hot outside) cook.

The players.

IMGP0071.JPG

Light the fires..

IMGP0078.JPG

POBs, Annie's and William's into the Griswold.

IMGP0074.JPG

JVille's onto the left side of the grill.

IMGP0077.JPG

Instant Russian Blue. Just add Sunlight!

IMGP0091.JPG

Brats are almost there.

IMGP0097.JPG

POBs are coming along - slowly..

IMGP0101.JPG

Pulled the brats and kicked the MAK up to 450°.

IMGP0104.JPG

Close enough. The natives are restless.

IMGP0115.JPG

Plated up with some Cochon's Abita mustard and Wickles relish.

IMGP0120.JPG

PDG!

Wing Commander

Venison shoulder and leg

Yesterday I made a bone-in shoulder and a boneless leg of venison. The shoulder was smoked low & slow on the Louisiana CS-450 with cherrywood-pellets at about 215 F for almost 4 hours, then seared for some minutes on high heat on the Louisiana Kentwood. The leg was partes into 2 steaks that were cooked at high temperature on the Kentwood. Finally all parts were glazed with my homemade blueberry BBQ-sauce.

DSC04526.JPG

DSC04527.JPG

DSC04528.JPG

DSC04531.JPG

DSC04533.JPG

DSC04534.JPG

DSC04535.JPG

One of the steaks cut into slices:

DSC04538.JPG

Pieces from the shoulder:

DSC04539.JPG

Plated up with mit Gorgonzola-filled chicory, beans and potatoes:

DSC04541.JPG

Deb

A quick tasty dinner

Took some grape tomatoes, garlic olive oil, salt & pepper - rolled it all around and into the MAK. Also some garlic and olive oil.
photo-114-1.jpg

Some hot italian & garlic and cheese sausage
photo-113.jpg

Cooked some linguine, tossed with the roasted tomatoes, some of the oil that was in with the garlic, a little basil. Plated with some sausage and garlic bread (used some of the roasted garlic)
photo-112.jpg

Enjoy

Wing Commander

Chicken breasts with spicy apricot marinade

Saturday I tried a spicy apricot marinade-recipe by Chris Lilly with chicken breasts.

DSC04516.JPG

DSC04517.JPG

DSC04520.JPG

DSC04521.JPG

DSC04522.JPG

DSC04524.JPG

The marinade has a great taste. The next time I'm gonna try it with wings - as it is originally ment to be combined with.

Chili Head

New York strips with shrimp and apple dumplings.

This dinner was for pops and what pops wants pops will get right?!
Dad wanted steak and shrimp..and he left it up to me to figure out the rest. OK then can do!
Plus this was his first pellet fired steak..he was impressed!

Alright let's start the show.
I needed 45 minutes to cook dessert so that went into the MAK first. I used wine soaked oak pellets on everything with the MAK set to 385 for dessert and the veggies.

First up is preparing the apple dumplings. I cut the apples into quarters, peeled and wrapped the quarters in the dough. Placed em into a buttered baking dish and covered them with a butter,sugar,cinnamon and vanilla mixture. Lastly I poured 12 ounces of grapefruit soda over the top and in the MAK they went. I used to use mountain dew for this but I like the grapefruit soda better..not as sweet.

46e1b29b-66ac-d883.jpg

46e1b29b-66ff-2be7.jpg

46e1b29b-6741-5fd8.jpg

46e1b29b-6751-dbab.jpg

While the dumplings are cooking I prepped the shrimp and veggies.

The shrimp were peeled and I made a mixture of parkay and little Louie's seasoned garlic salt and black pepper.
46e1b29b-6a82-7e25.jpg

46e1b29b-6a8e-17bc.jpg

The asparagus got some parkay and little Louie's dessert gold.

46e1b29b-6baa-941a.jpg

The corn was grilled au naturale..

The dumplings are done! Dang these smell so good!

46e1b29b-6c1e-3837.jpg

46e1b29b-6c86-d22c.jpg

46e1b29b-6c94-6f7e.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

Alrighty..

The asparagus and corn in the MAK..things are going to happen fast now.

46e1b29b-6d8b-0017.jpg

Veggies are done and the steaks are going to be reverse seared on the grill grates. The steaks were seasoned with little Louie's double secret steak rub.

46e1b29b-6dd9-898e.jpg

I bumped the temp to high when the IT in the smallest steak hit 130. A few minutes later they went on the grates and some garlic knots went in.

46e1b29b-6e9b-d8ad.jpg

Turn flippy times 4..

46e1b29b-6ef4-6878.jpg

Whooo dang the smells are bringing out the neighbors.." John what you cooking over there?" MEAT! I said " lots of meat!"

The steaks taking a rest while the shrimp goes on.

46e1b29b-6f85-cf7c.jpg

46e1b29b-7020-78fc.jpg

Wow I can't wait to dig into this!

Let's do it! Happy fathers day dad!

New york strip, shrimp, corn, asparagus, garlic knots..I'm full just talking about it! A nice glass of concord grape wine to go with it..perfect choice.

46e1b29b-70f8-7700.jpg

46e1b29b-710a-b5db.jpg

46e1b29b-7117-e67d.jpg

46e1b29b-71cc-c3d8.jpg

Continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

I cleaned my plate so I can have dessert..I'm a good boy!

46e1b29b-72f1-3c8e.jpg

Did I leave room for dessert? No not really but I'll have some anyway!

An apple dumpling with some home style vanilla ice cream. Oh man..

46e1b29b-7327-61a3.jpg

I'm sitting in my chair doing the happy dance while eating..what a great meal!

Cleaned that plate too..although I'm going to have to spend 103.7 hours in the gym this week to work all this off..

46e1b29b-7385-4107.jpg

Now we're all sitting around the table rubbing our bellies and my dad says " John I woulda paid 50 dollars for that plate" " thank you very much that was excellent".

Awe shucks... Thanks dad!

What a great tasting meal! Simply awesome! Everyone loved it all and left full and happy.
But I couldn't have done it without the MAK and the great seasonings from big poppa. Thanks for making me look like a rock star!

CMack1

Shreaded Chuckie Enchiladas

Rookie entry, here goes nothin'
Well I was told I was going out to dinner for father's day. Yay. Guess I'll have to have my fun Saturday then. I've seen a couple posts for chuck roasts lately, figured I'd give it a shot. Picked these bad boys up at the mega mart.

259-1.jpg

All seasoned up with salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and cumin. Into the 1 star burning wine soaked oak, and a little black walnut that was left in the hopper. smoke for 1 hour then up to 250.

261.jpg

After several hours the IT was approaching 150, so I sliced up this stuff for the bottom of the pan.

262.jpg

All bedded up and on top go the chuckies.

264.jpg

Foiled over the top and back on the smoker. Cranked the pellet boss up to 350. Two more hours and the IT hit 203. Time to check. Looks good to me.

266.jpg

All shredded up. Nice smoke ring you say? Thank you.

272.jpg

Threw the peppers and onions from the pan into the blender, added most of the liquid, some garlic cloves, a little seasoning and some AP flour. Blended smooth, then into a pot to simmer and keep warm.

275.jpg

Then the meat went into a pan with the remainder of the drippings to sizzle up and get happy.

274.jpg

Warmed up some flour tortillas and rolled the sauce, meat, and shredded jack and cheddar into enchiladas. Topped with olive slices, sliced jalapenos, and scallion onion. Into the oven......

283.jpg

Plated.

284.jpg

Nothing fancy here. Paper plates, fresh avocado, and a cold glass of suds. They came out great. Will be doing this one again. Maybe even try pulled pork next time. Thanks for looking.

Wing Commander

Briket, beans and cole slaw

Last night I put a brisket on my CS-450. I plated it up with chili-beans and cole slaw. Here are the few pictures I took:

DSC04544.JPG

DSC04547.JPG

DSC04548.JPG

DSC04550.JPG

DSC04552.JPG

Top Bottom