HOw many....

TentHunter

I would love to become a judge; I think it'd be a blast, but... allergies suck (and not just MSG)!

JimboJitsu has a vid on youtube at a judges class that's an interesting watch.

3Bs-Bar-B-Que

I am a CBJ judge #56856 Judged some events this yr. and I never tasted the winning stuff ok at least I didnt think so it was different

Texana

Not me .... maybe some day but not in the near future ....

Actually to busy competing to worry about judging :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
My guys took the class this year and it was a huge class and they were really disappointed I think we are all going to take the test at the Meadow Creek Open House.

scooter

Being a CBJ is an important job. We owe it to the pitmasters to get the scoring right. Leave the preconcieved ideas at the front of the tent. Judge on the merits of the entry and not what we think it should be.
You will have some great BBQ and some not so great. One pitmaster in Bakersfield's Biggest Baddest cookoff turned in his ribs almost completely raw. Outside was dead animal grey about 1/4" in then pink the rest! You could see it was pink on the side where he cut it and it had a heavy creosote smell to it. The guy had to be partying and smothered his fire then didn't check back until it was turnin time.
Last contest of this year for me was in Placerville Smokin For Gold, I had a rib I scored 9-9-9. It was spot on! It was like an out of body experience eating it! Ate the whole thing, nothin left but the bone. Wanted to excuse myself, go outside and do the happy dance... :)

Last edited:

Trooper

KCBS #53906
This year I judged @ Auburn Hills (MI), Grand Rapids (MI), Milwaukee (WI), and Silver Lake (MI)
Also, took the Table Captain class before the Silver Lake Judging.
Next summer, I'd like to join in with a few competition teams and "hang on to their bootstraps" for the weekend. Just doing the grunt work to get on board and continue to learn all I can.
I'd like to eventually be a significant part of a competition team. Just don't quite know how to get started with it.

Top Bottom