Attn BBQ Judges

Big Poppa

Administrator
can you tell us about the experience qualifying and the certification process...The tell us what it is like....

Any insider humor or horror stories?

Matt Dalton

We learned what not to do.IMO..just ask Brad we sat at the same table this August..when the chicken was put down in front of us the look on his face was priceless!..he looked up and said i don't know what to do with this I don't want any of it.LOL!!..so don't think you can go to a judges class and pick up the flavor profile that wins..I haven't judged yet but im sure doing a comp would help greatly.

Phrett Bender

I did the certification class a few months ago and was actually quite surprised. There was no instruction on flavor profiles, sauce or no sauce, spicy or sweet, or what made meat look good to eat. The instruction was very informative and helpful in many ways, but I realized that competition BBQ is partly a big crap shoot in which table your entry goes to. The instructor explained that, say for taste, you judged an entry on how you personally liked the item. If you like sweet sauce and it had spicy sauce you did not score it as high as you would a rib with sweet sauce. If you liked no sauce and you were presented a rib with no sauce, you scored it higher than the rib with sauce. You were not to score for garnish as garnish is not counted, but if an entry had no garnish you might score it lower in appearance than an entry with garnish because the garnish made the meat look more desirable, not because the garnish looked nice. The instructor could not answer why they even used garnish under those scenarios. I'm lining up some judging opportunities for the upcoming year and am looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out in a competition.

Top Bottom