Food Savers...

doodles

I know there are different opinions on this, but I'd love to hear your experience. I've never used one of the vacuum sealers before, and don't imagine I will do a ton of it. But some things I want to do. For example, I want to do turkey breasts which I will either cut into slices (don't have a slicer yet), seal, freeze, and take out when I want them for sandwiches, or seal small slabs, and bring them out and slice them for the same reason. I was thinking of picking up a Food Saver at Costco, but I know some guys say, "heck with it, just get the one at Cabela's!" They're a whole lot more money, so would I be throwing it away by getting the Food Saver? Thanks in advance!~

jimsbarbecue

Which ever you get it will be used. With only three at the house it gets used a lot. The only way to freeze leftovers so you can reuse them later.Had a foodsaver now the Cabelas one. The Cabelas makes a wider seal. My first foodsaver lasted a few years. Try the one from costco if you don't like it or it breaks they will take it back.

CarterQ

Have had a couple of food savers now, we use it pretty regularly and it works great. The Cabela's ones are nice but seem like overkill for the average household. Like Jim said if you have any problems with it Costco has a great return policy. We just get the continuous bag roll and make our own bags rather than buying the pre made sizes. It's definitely a must have for leftovers and storing those deals you find on meat. I would say you would be happy either way.

HoDeDo

The Cabela's unit has a slightly wider opening.... but both it and the food saver are "channel" type sealers, meaning the bag is outside the unit has the air (and contents) sucked out of it. The Cabela's "pro" unit has a more powerful vac, and handles higher use better. I have been looking for a "chamber" type sealer. That puts the bag in a chamber, and the entire unit is vaccumed down. That style vacs even better, doesnt "suck" juices out of the bag, and you get to use less bag material, because the seal bar is with the bag in the unit... so you dont need extra bag to get into the vac channel. Some high level view of the two is available here: Vacmaster commercial vacuum packaging machine Industrial Vacuum Sealer Vac Master ARY system vacuum packing vaccuum pack

HoDeDo

They have one for $699 also :)

The place to find one is at an auction where someone that owned one has gone under.... Let the hunting begin! :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
This is why I am so happy with this forum...I use the food saver but I look like a total idiot trying to get it right some times....I love costco for the reasons above.....

Texana

Here is my opinion ... Screw Food Saver ... yes I said it and I dont regret it. Why put your money in a product that cant be repaired when it breaks. Instead spend a little extra and get the last vacuum sealer you will ever need. I did after going through 3 Food Savers and I do not regret it at all. Check it out.

Pro 2300 Vacuum Sealer

Top Bottom