MAK Pitas - another MAK griddle use

Deb

I was checking out jeannie's blog the other day and she had made some pita bread - I decided to steal parts of her meal ..........

this morning threw some boneless chicken breasts into some SOW bbq marinade...... later in the day mixed up some pita bread dough . A couple hours later I put the MAK griddle on one side of the MAK and the grill grates on the other, started it up..............

put the chicken on, let it get a little bit of a head start, then a couple pita

photo-110-2.jpg

pita bread before baking
photo-108-3.jpg

pita 2nd side
photo-108-2.jpg

made some tzatziki sauce - greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, minty dill sea salt, a little more dill

dinner...... pita , chicken, tomato, lettuce the tzatziki
photo-109-1.jpg

I'm stuffed

Last edited:

GA Que

Did you get those grill marks on the chicken from the non-flame zone side of the grill and if so what temp did you cook them at? The meal looks great!

Deb

thanks everyone

Did you get those grill marks on the chicken from the non-flame zone side of the grill and if so what temp did you cook them at? The meal looks great!

I have the full flame zone. I started the chicken at 375 then right before putting the pita bread in raised it to 425.

Deb

I've never made pitas. Now I want to learn how!

really easy to do

3 cups flour (I used 1 cup white whole wheat, 2 white)
1 package yeast (I used 2 tsp instant dry yeast)
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp oil or butter (I forgot it , they were fine)

If using active dry yeast proof your yeast in the water otherwise just throw everything in a mixing bowl. Stir til mixed, knead 10 minutes, cover let rise for 2 hours or until doubled. Make 8 balls, let sit for 20 minutes, roll out into 5 or 6 inch circles. Cook in 425 degree oven - on a stone or the MAK griddle , I even threw the last two on the grill grates, I have done directly on grill (just make sure it's hot) it only takes a 5-6 minutes , you can flip them if you want part way through.

51Phantom

Looks great. However my wife being greek would kill you for putting dill in your Tzatziki. Traditional greek Tzatziki is only Yogurt, lemon cucumber and garlic.
And I have to say my wifes is the best i have had. It seems to be a north american thing to add dill to it.
The Pita's look amazing by the way.

Top Bottom