Pechanga California Comp 6-22-12

Big Poppa

Administrator
Getting packed up for Pechanga...it is only about 20 minutes from where I spend summer...HOME GAME....I feel like I live in Kansas City....those guys can sneeze and be next to a contest!

Oh what will I cook tonight???

Have my friends at Woodhouse, Simply Marvelous and Lady of Que across from us....should be a blast!

Meat Man

This looks like a great comp. Big prize money, all the top Cali teams. Hoping BPS knocks it out of the park. Give our regards to Sylvia and the Woodhouse crew. Waffles!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
I ccoked some texas jalapeno cheddar sausages with braised jalelujah onions and mustard and a soft bun...then some kings hawaiian sweet bread sliders with pork tenderloin braised onions and hasty bake seared money crusted pineapple...picks later have to go to bed!

sparky

oh, that sounds like a great meal. looking forward to the picks. friday night dinner w/ BP is always epic.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yesterday was a very very frustrating day that is still bugging me. WIth no disrespect to my fellow competitors...and a tip of the hat to my pals out there....I was totally baffled...We rate our cooks one meat at a time in the down time after turn ins....Here was the UNANIMOUS judging:

Chicken 3rd best cook for us
Ribs 4th worst cook for us
Pork 1st best cook. Best pork we thought we absolutely nailed it.
Brisket 2nd....Ive done better burnt ends but they were good and the slices were as good as Ive done

14 out of 51 overall Pork killed us.

Here was how the judges saw it out of 51 teams:

Chicken 14th
Ribs 2nd over all
Pork 35th Our worst pork score ever
Brisket 17th......

One thing this proves.....we aren't good judges and probably suck at cooking....You just never know.

The worst part is that we cant cook this coming weekend...have to wait two weeks to extract revenge or plunge ourselves into deeper depression!

firehouse_bbq

You guys are great cooks! It just makes you wonder sometimes! I thought my brisket was some of the best we cooked, and it was 14th, and my pork, I thought it was not a good cook, and we got 6th.....

Thanks BPS, for the great products. We used SOW marinades for our chicken and pork, and there was a little "Money" involded as well in some of our products :)

This was a great contest, great venue, and great turnouts. In addition to the contest, we did more than 700 samples of PC, and it was 10 minutes from the house. I was able to sleep in my own bed, take a shower, and get back to the contest in the morning to start cooking! Not sure when our next event will be, maybe Vista.

We were totally shocked with our results, 5th place chicken (first EVER call in chicken), 10th place ribs, 6th place pork, 14th place brisket, and 4th overall!

Candy Sue

Could be as simple as the order you hit the table in pork or you hit a table of judges judging badly. Blank, blank happens! I think it's a common thing with cooks -- when we're happy with our product, the judges aren't and vice versa.

It's killing me that I'm not cooking -- nothing til August 17th.

Top Bottom