Gobble gobble

Chili Head

I dug a turkey breast out of the freezer and deboned it today. I sprinkled some sunshine grilling spice on it, recovered it with the skin to help keep it moist and am hitting it with some hickory smoke. After an hour of smoke ill cook it at 265 until an IT of 165. When done ill wrap it tight in plastic wrap after it rests for ten minutes and let it cool the rest of the way in the fridge until Saturday.

46e1b29b-c6fb-89dc.jpg

46e1b29b-c70c-8efc.jpg

46e1b29b-c715-e725.jpg

46e1b29b-c73b-bea5.jpg

More pics to follow..

Pappymn

Slow down their Chili. I love what you are doing with this, but how hard was it to get the skin off in what looks like one piece?

Chili Head

Getting there! After one hour on smoke and two hours at 265.
46e1b29b-cd46-890f.jpg

Pappy the skin was easy to take off. Just use you fingers and work your way around the meat separating the skin. If i get to a stubborn part I'll skin it off with a knife. I shoulda taken pictures of that part.. I always cover as much of the meat with the skin as i can now. The uncovered parts will have a tough outer edge that I will trim off before slicing.

Chili Head

Done with the skin removed. I wrapped it tight in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer to cool quickly. I'll put it in the fridge in an hour and slice it up tomorrow.

46e1b29b-e9c3-a782.jpg

46e1b29b-e9d1-e2f1.jpg

46e1b29b-e9de-bc1b.jpg

46e1b29b-e9ec-a8a2.jpg

46e1b29b-e9fe-7b15.jpg

Based on the tiny piece I tried I'm going to like the sunshine grill spice. Tomorrow I'll have a better idea of the flavor.

HogSmoker

: ) At first I thought you was doing your impression of Frank Caliendo doing Pres George Bush .. Gobble gobble

Turkey looks very good wish I had a plate !

sparky

is that a orange thermapen? ya know. green is the fastest. thought you might like to know.

1mak3046.jpg

just ask marty. lol..... ;)

Pappymn

I have to try that. Can I assume you don't have any pets Chili? I tried putting extra grates and a rack on the bottom shelf of my Mak. Turned my back, and my dog was over there licking away. I think an enclosed base would be a nice upgrade for the Mak.

I agree with Sparky. Green is the fastest, and the cover is great for those of us that drop things or splash them with stuff. I have the exact setup as Sparky as far as the Thermapen is concerned! Now I just need to get a Hazel and have the same smoker setup!

Chili Head

au contraire sparky! I believe you have the wrong green.. The British racing green as seen below is the fastest green.
a693689e-28d4-ca06.jpg

Your mint green is even slower than my orange one hahahaha.

TentHunter

: ) At first I thought you was doing your impression of Frank Caliendo doing Pres George Bush .. Gobble gobble

HA HA... I thought the same thing!

Chili, That is one interesting technique with the turkey breast. I cant wait to see how this turns out when you slice into it tomorrow.

Chili Head

Pappy you're looking at Sparky's grill with the grates on the bottom. I don't keep mine on the bottom shelf because my dogs would be all over them! I was cleaning my MAK the other day and set the grease bucket on the ground..turned my back for a second and my dogs head was in that bucket!
My miniature schnauzer had a grease covered beard..nasty!

Pappymn

Pappy you're looking at Sparky's grill with the grates on the bottom. I don't keep mine on the bottom shelf because my dogs would be all over them! I was cleaning my MAK the other day and set the grease bucket on the ground..turned my back for a second and my dogs head was in that bucket!
My miniature schnauzer had a grease covered beard..nasty!

That is doggy caviar.

Chili Head

I finally got time to slice this thing up. It's got a great smoke flavor and the sunshine grilling spice works well with the turkey.
46e1b29b-801b-4cf4.jpg

46e1b29b-8204-0008.jpg

46e1b29b-8069-fd27.jpg

46e1b29b-807b-0fcd.jpg

46e1b29b-8236-463b.jpg

Bagged and ready for the freezer. I bagged a couple of packages with some stuffing.
46e1b29b-80bd-9714.jpg

If you haven't smoked a boneless turkey yet I urge you to give it a shot. So delicous!

Last edited:

ACW3

Chili,
That is some fine looking turkey. I have a small turkey and a boulder that need to have something done with them, soon. This gives me another option.

Art

Top Bottom