Short rib and green chili stuffed chicken tacos

Chili Head

Braised short rib and green chili chicken tacos with black bean salsa.

I wasn't sure what to make today when I woke up. All I knew was it was going to be Mexican and I needed groceries so off to the store I went. After roaming around the meat section I had in the cart some short ribs, baby back ribs,chicken breasts, chicken thighs, sausage, chuck roast and bacon.
Oook ..I'm thinking short ribs and chicken tacos it is!

I dusted the short ribs with mas quapo seasoning and put them on the MAK set on smoke for 45 minutes or so.

46e1b29b-98da-e4bb.jpg

46e1b29b-98f1-f6ca.jpg

Next up I made the black bean salsa.

46e1b29b-9786-52d3.jpg

This is a really simple and fast recipe. Besides being good on any kind of taco, it's good with tortilla chips or added to enchiladas.

Start with 2 cans of black beans and add 1 each of green, yellow and red bell peppers, a bunch of small green onions, 5-6 Roma tomatoes, a couple tomatillos, a diced fresh jalapeno, a pretty good size bunch of cilantro ( we love cilantro!) and the juice of 1 lime.
Mix it all together & refrigerate. Right before you serve the black bean salsa dice up some avocado and gently mix that in.

46e1b29b-9b37-2c68.jpg

46e1b29b-9e8b-de19.jpg

Up next was getting the chicken breasts ready and on the MAK.
I cut a pocket in each breast and stuffed it with green chili and cilantro and then tied them up to keep as much chili in them as possible.
46e1b29b-b78a-a0cc.jpg

46e1b29b-9d17-5090.jpg

46e1b29b-9d35-f8ba.jpg

46e1b29b-9d59-5cf5.jpg

At this point I've set the MAK to high to braise the ribs in an iron skillet and to cook the chicken at a higher temperature.
46e1b29b-9ee5-e88b.jpg

Continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

Oh yeah 390 is working like a dream!
46e1b29b-9f39-dfc3.jpg

While the short ribs and chicken are cooking I made a rum, agave, lime and mint melon dessert.

I cut up some honeydew melon, cantaloupe & watermelon & set it aside. Then I mixed together the juice of 1 lime, added a tsp or so of agave syrup, plus 5-6 fresh chopped mint leaves. The wife loves rum so thats always a good option at our house! So in went a good shot of Bacardi. Give it a quick stir & pour it over the melon and refrigerate.
46e1b29b-a194-f074.jpg

46e1b29b-a1b7-eefc.jpg

The short ribs are done and the chicken is moved over the flame zone.

46e1b29b-a24d-727f.jpg

46e1b29b-a280-1272.jpg

I sliced the meat off the bone and set It aside to use in a tomatillo, garlic and lime sauce.
46e1b29b-a2d4-420d.jpg

The wife ( Mrs. sissy sauce) loves tomatillos & lime. So In the blender I mixed together 1 tomatillo, a clove of garlic, the juice of 1/2 lime, and a few cilantro leaves. I puréed that for a couple of minutes and added it to some of the sliced short ribs. I covered the croc with foil & put it back in the smoker. It had a strong tomatillo & lime flavor but the wife loved it! And so did I.

46e1b29b-a43a-1c4d.jpg

At this point the chicken is almost done so lastly the tortillas are warmed up in the warming drawer on the MAK.
46e1b29b-a45b-9682.jpg

46e1b29b-a4f2-2840.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

The chicken is done and sliced up.
46e1b29b-a82e-2432.jpg

46e1b29b-a7e5-0e74.jpg

The veggies are diced ( including my finger ) .. "damn knife bit me!" i said..The wife said.." don't drink and dice John!" hmm I just reminded her five minutes ago that new knife I just got was VERY sharp.

Everything is ready..Time to plate it up!
46e1b29b-ace8-0eb4.jpg

First up is the wife's plate. Hers looks awesome!
She has a chicken taco with crumbled queso fresco cheese, avocado, tomato and black bean salsa on the side.
A margarita glass with rum mellon sits off to the side.
46e1b29b-a951-f2fa.jpg

On my plate I have a chicken taco with black bean salsa and queso fresco cheese ,a short rib taco with the tomatillo, lime and garlic sauce,black bean salsa and queso fresco cheese. Of course I had to have jalapeños and hot sauce with mine as well.
46e1b29b-abaa-9239.jpg

46e1b29b-abf1-a352.jpg

46e1b29b-ac08-480c.jpg

46e1b29b-ae4f-9334.jpg

46e1b29b-add6-7f67.jpg

First bite..it just doesn't get any better than this!
46e1b29b-ac8d-5667.jpg

I tell ya what..I'll be using short ribs again! These little guys have tons of flavor and i had no idea they were going to be this good. I only picked them up because I remembered BP's post on short ribs. Even being well done they were moist and tender. Tonight's meal was so much better than packaged spice on ground beef. Nothing beats home made..right?
The chicken turned out equally as good. The green chili and cilantro stuffed inside gave it a nice flavor. Next time I'll marinade the chicken to boost the flavor even more. The rum mellon hit the spot after eating a couple of over stuffed tacos. Nice and light.

Thanks for looking!

PaulyT

Excellent! Now I'm beginning to understand why you call yourself "Chili Head"... I approve heartily! :cool:

Kite

Really great Chili! The meal and the process looks fantastic! But great photography as well..

soupyjones

I am very sure that I deserve no thanks for that one. Fantastic looking tacos. I love the short rib use. very different and it looks like it worked well.

Top Bottom