Vacation baby back ribs

Chili Head

Played with some ribs today and I tried a new sauce. Today I used blues hog tennessee red BBQ sauce. It's not as sweet as the regular blues hog sauce and it's a lot thinner with a vinegar base.

Baby backs with the membrane removed and a good dusting of money. Into the MAK burning BBQ delight apple for an hour on smoke.

46e1b29b-9c7a-56f4.jpg

Time to foil with some schmear.

46e1b29b-9dc2-e4eb.jpg

Out of the foil and first brushing of the sauce. Whoo these are look'n good!

46e1b29b-9dd8-3e34.jpg

More sauce going on the ribs..

46e1b29b-9e19-24f9.jpg

46e1b29b-9e28-bd14.jpg

Now there done and resting before I slice em up. These are too pretty to eat!

46e1b29b-9e56-0e23.jpg

46e1b29b-9e67-0757.jpg

Sliced and now it's chow time.

46e1b29b-9f2b-883d.jpg

46e1b29b-9f7b-1cec.jpg

YUM! Plated with some green beans sprinkled with desert gold.

46e1b29b-9fa3-be51.jpg

The blues hog red sauce was good I thought. I would put it about 3rd in my top 5 commercial sauces. It was too spicy for the wife..I think she's one of those super tasters who can't handle strong flavors. I Like big bold in your face flavors and this wasn't bad. I can see mixing this sauce with another sweeter sauce for that perfect blend.

Last edited:

ACW3

Chili,
They look mighty good. Did you have Sparky on speed-dial for any advice? They are looking like his ribs!

Art

sparky

nice looking ribs there buddy. how did you like the money on the ribs? you should try LL w/ P. great smoke ring. the color looks fantastic. try the 4 men and a pig spicy sauce. its a good one. i do like your ribs. it not how they taste. its about how pretty they are. yours are very pretty.

Last edited:

Chili Head

Yeah pappy just one hour of smoke. Was on a time crunch..wifey got off work at 5:30 and these went on at 1:00. An hour on smoke then 250 until I liked the color...about another 75 minutes. Once I got the color I wanted I put them in foil for an hour or so. Once out of the foil I cooked em for another 30 minutes then sauced em up. I could have speeded things up by cooking at 275 but I like 250. I like to smell the smoke and pork outside as long as possible :D . Total time was about 4.25 hours give or take...It's what works for me.

Thanks ACW3 and Kite!
I don't have sparky on speed dial but I do pay attention to what people use and say and I look at their pictures closely.

Sparky I liked the "money" flavor on the ribs. I think im going to run some through my coffee grinder next time. Not to powder it but just to break down some of the larger spices in it. I'm still searching for the right sauce to go with it for us and I'm getting close. The rib quest continues.

I do think blues hog Tennessee red would go great with 3eyez rub.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

TrickyDick

Necro Post here-

Looking to cook some ribs, wifey could only find baby backs. I don't have my MAK yet, but I've got an idea.
As I'm a total noob to ribs, I have been trying to read up. A few questions on technique need to be addressed, if you would please.

1. when you pull the ribs off smoker and add the schmear, what are some basic recipes for the schmear? I've seen things like squeeze margarine, brown sugar, honey, hot sauce combo, and I've seen things that look like peanut butter.
2. after you foil them, do you put back into smoker, or let them rest at room temp, or in cooler??
3. when you unfoil, do you do anything with the collected juices, etc?
4. should have put this first, but do you rub the night before or just before putting in smoker?
5. before the rest, what temp do you cook to?

sorry to ask the really dumb questions.

So what I was planning to do with these was to put the 2 racks into my wood-fired brick oven/pizza oven, that's been recently used. It retains heat very well, and hits about 250 the third day after I've made pizza for instance, but I could always just make a smaller cooler fire. I was going to plan so I could put the ribs in in the morning on a weekend. The burning wood, I use red oak, does add some smoke flavor but once the oven is cooling from a pizza session you don't need a fire at all because of all the retained heat.
I am going to fill Amazing Tube Smoker with pellets, probably hickory or a blend of hickory and cherry for a punch of smoke.
I am going to set a rib stand in a shallow rimmed baking pan, and put the ribs in that, in order to prevent getting all the grease in my oven. "spritzing" is probably out of the question. I might add some water to the baking pan or in a separate pan.

TD

Top Bottom